Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cheap little red blower guts and internals

Blog Entries
    Just wondering! I had to work on my daughter's furnace and it is a newer high efficient one with a nice little blower for combustion air at the burners. Have these been around long enough to start seeing them replaced and in scrap bins yet? I thought that it would have made a good furnace blower.
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

You're not talking about the draft blower are you? You can tell it's one of these if it has a small silicone hose going to a switch. That fan motor is there to get the exhaust heading the right way and to pull out the flammable gases. Gas furnaces wont run unless that thing is working and the switch is told all is good to go. Did ya take a picture of the setup with the cover to the furnace removed?

btw, I've tried a draft blower. No balls.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Hello all, Im a new rookie here so a brief intro is in order. I want to build a double door forge/heat treating oven. I have a small squirrel cage blower that I picked up for 5 bucks. I think it was a replacment part for a fireplace insert. Interesting read about the blower you are modifying to suit your purpose. I am trying to search for free plans for construction of a forced air propane burner. I do need a good baseline to start even though new things to me have a low success rate to start with. If found here wisdom might if properly applied allow success my first try.

Welcome Decoy80,
    Check out our Burner subforum as this topic has been covered in great detail. Also Google Reil Burner.
    Start up a build thread and take pictures too!

Pete

Blog Entries
    When ever I see a blower, I think possible burner. Jagboy69, your saying too small?
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

Funny how when I see a blower too, I think burner! Yes I tried a draft blower off a big 5ton gas furnace. When I applied some a little back pressure to it on my forge, it said no thanks.
    Keep in mind Kent, My forge burner is that natural gas ribbon burner so thats not the same as just blowing through a 2inch pipe. Might be okay on a furnace. So if ya want to try one, hit up an AC shop somewhere that has a bunk of junk units. They should give you one. They get scrapped with the units and have no value. Bring a 5/16 and 1/4" nut driver. I'll try to post a picture of mine later for ya.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --

Just a reminder too that while maybe less-desirable, there are people using hair-dryers as small furnace blowers. These things are super-cheap at second-hand stores, and/or found by rooting around in your wife's cabinets. Duct-tape down the 'cold' button / switch and you're good to go. Probably not reliable enough for constant use, but certainly good enough for just-getting-started.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

It's confirmed. I have a sickness and need help!
    Practically new at the good will. $4.99. Blows like a SOB when you remove the intake plate. Doesn't slow down when ya block off the outflow either.
    20170307_163346.jpg
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --

Nice score! They don't make 'em like that anymore!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Here is some shots of a typical draft blower from a home natural gas furnace. NO BALLS at all! This is off a 5ton unit. It doesn't need to be very big to do its job in a home furnace.

draft1.jpg

draft2.jpg
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --