Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A thread for random quick questions

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    Pipe: 1" ID
    Intake: 2-1/4":1" ID
    Flare: 1-1/4": 2"
    Jet: .030

I've played with this burner by changing ever single component attached to it and I must say, it acts totally different inside of a furnace environment than outside.
    Won't achieve a roar outside the furnace but wakes up once stuck into the furnace.

Made a smaller version of this one and it acts differently than its big brother, roars inside and outside the furnace.

These are not going to be my permanent burners.
    Just something I've been playing with until I can get down to the shop and build a real burner.
    I've never built one of those but many here have. Looks like a Reil burner. I know from what I've read that the tube diameter and jet size are related and become pretty particular. I'd suggest starting a thread so your question doesn't get buried here.

Pete

Administrator Site Admin
    OCD, .030 is a small orifice for a one inch tube burner. I use .25 for a 1/2 inch burner and .043 for a 3/4 inch burner.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Pete,
    If it was a burner design I was going to keep I'ld start a dedicated thread.

Rasper,
    I have all the necessary forumla's to size vs ratio's, etc.
    This burner just isn't playing nicely.
    I've tried different jet sizes, intakes, flares nipple sizes, placement of jet, etc. and for some strange reason, an .030 jet is the only size which makes this thing burn in a natural (ish) state.

On another note, as the burner is, it becomes O2 starved in a dense fire brick furnace environment yet needs to be choked outside such environment.
    A large jet would mean it's going to need even "more" O2.

Now, I'm beginning to think the interior walls of the foundry may have something to depleting the O2 within it.
    Meaning, if the construction of the interior is of a dense fire brick (heat sink) it sucks necessary O2 out of the environment, which is why the burner was starting to cut in and out after the furnace got hot.

I have a friend who has a fabrication shop and I'm more than welcome to come play with any of the machinery.
    Just have to find time to get over there when it's not a mad house.

Zapins, I had asked that same question several years ago. I was talking to a machinist about making a large screw. He said there was something almost like a wax that they dipped the screw into and then cast the brass around it. The more times you dipped it the loser nut would be. I couldn't afford to have the screw made so I never got to try it out. I did talk to a Bronze foundry guy and he just said yes, he could do it, no problem. But, no explanation of how he was going to do it. I think a good layer of oxidation, soot and some graphite, it would come off. Just how to hold the threaded rod while you twist off the nut without messing up the threads? Maybe get a small bolt the same size and cast the nut on it.

Perfect. Thanks. I'll get some salt water and rust up the threads over night then cast the part around it. Unscrew it using my vice and pliers.

Administrator Site Admin
    OCD, How large is the vent hole in the lid of your furnace?

R

2-1/2"...............

Administrator Site Admin
    What happens when you provide more vent? However you can. Opening the lid a bit maybe. See if more vent makes for better burner operation. In my furnace with a bore of ten inches,the vent hole is 4 1/2 inches in diameter, which gives it a bit over three times the area of your vent hole.

R

I have no dout I'll be fine tuning a few things with the foundry and burner.

Once finished, the inner chamber of the foundry will be 9" x 13".

Quote Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
    Perfect. Thanks. I'll get some salt water and rust up the threads over night then cast the part around it. Unscrew it using my vice and pliers.
    I was thinking more of heat the rod till it turned blue like we do when using steel crucibles. Although a light thin rust may work too.