Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: A thread for random quick questions

I've never thought of using sugar in the Dawn. Great idea. Wash up for dinner break I find myself in the first floor bathroom and grab the old spice body wash out of the shower. It works surprisingly well. Stubborn fingernails get toothpaste and an old toothbrush. I usually keep my heavy washing in the laundry sink. Mama likes it better that way!
    I've been using these in my printshop for years
    https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    They're pricey so they aren't used for routine hand washing but they work great for convenience and waterless cleaning. I have a bucket of them in my home shop (barn, no running water) and use them mainly when I need to put my foam earplugs in after getting my hands all grimey. Even after they dry out, a spray with a water bottle brings them right back to life. They're great for surface wiping too and usually enjoy a long life but they have a bit of grit in them so they don't get used on machines.

Pete

Good to know. I'll buy one of the coring bits then. Need to save some cash, this project is starting to get pricey.

Anyone ever bought from these guys before? Is this a safe website to put banking details in?

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...FZhWDQodGgoH1Q

Bank details?? NEVER. CC or debit card that's different. Haven't used them before.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

I've done the bi-metal hole saw in thickish plate before 1/2". Tons of cutting fluid and a rigid set up are a must. Don't expect a clean hole.

Used a large one for this follow rest I made for a lathe at a previous employer.

FLAME ON...!!!!

Man that's nicely made.

I'm planning on buying a floor drill press. Hopefully it has a lot of rigidity so it won't wobble when going in otherwise I'll have to make one of those rests. I did get a few bonus 1/2" thick plates that I can probably experiment with.

Not bank numbers, I meant CC or debit card. I prefer paypal, but CC can work sometimes.

Since I've gotten into the habit of preheating my furnace with a heating lamp, I'm curious if anybody has a clue as to what temps can be reached or expected with a 1500 watt Metal Halide lamp bulb?

Around 2-300 F I'd guess. I used to have a few 300 w bulbs on my fish tanks. They were too hot to touch, but not crazy hot.

I'm seeing 240*+ish? degrees from a 250W heating bulb.

Your way off my friend.

I'm thinking at least 600*+ at a minimum but at this point in time that's just a wild guesstimate.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    I'm seeing 240*+ish? degrees from a 250W heating bulb.

Your way off my friend.

I'm thinking at least 600*+ at a minimum but at this point in time that's just a wild guesstimate.
    Im thinking the bulb may burn out before you get there.....
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Only one way to find out.

I figure I'll have a 50/50 chance of survival as long as I have the bulb snug up against the vent hole and the cord isn't inside the furnace.
    Wrap some Kaowool around the upper section of the socket, maybe insert a layer between the bulb and vent hole as well.