Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: A thread for random quick questions

I need to find a way to roll an 8" radius 48" wide, in 1/8 hot rolled steel. I've done it several times in 20ga with a junk oxygen bottle and some cargo straps, but that trick won't work for this project. I hate to take my steel to a shop and ask them to work on my material, I also hate to have someone I don't know, working on my material. (special order 4' X 12' pieces) These are the box sides for my hot rod truck, so I want nice smooth radii, with no dings or dents.
    Anyone have a bright idea?
    Heres a picture of the mock-up.
    IMG_3135.jpg
    Edit: Maybe use the stacked roller principle to cut down on roll expense. smaller=cheaper
    th.jpg
    What is that squeaking noise?

That's gonna be tough without a roller. I know this doesn't help but I think you'd come out ahead having a shop roll it. A large press with the radius form might work but 4' wide makes that rough too. 1/8" material is tough to work without big equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyjp77 View Post
    That's gonna be tough without a roller. I know this doesn't help but I think you'd come out ahead having a shop roll it. A large press with the radius form might work but 4' wide makes that rough too. 1/8" material is tough to work without big equipment.
    I know chubby, I've run both a plate roll and a press brake during my working career, wish I had access to either one for an hour. I don't know anyone that has a roll that does job shop work with the public. Guess I will have to call around the local area.
    What is that squeaking noise?