Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A thread for random quick questions

Hybrid View

A thread for random quick questions

I feel like I often have a lot of quick questions that probably don't need their own thread so I figure this thread might serve as a good place to start asking the shorter/quicker ones. Feel free to ask your own random questions here too.

My current question is: Is there a way to make another rubber handle for this rock pick I found at a flea market? The tool is really well made but the rubber handle has become brittle and flakes away when touched too much. I could do a wooden one but a nice rubber handle would be better I think.

A nice Estwing rock pick there. I would center the handle inside a paper towel tube and pour with something like Smooth-on's PMC 780 urethane. After curing, grind the cylindrical pour to suit.

Fully cured 780 can be a beast to work. Use sharp, coarse sandpaper. If it can be arranged, demold early and rough out with a thin sharp knife. Sand only after a full cure or it will gum up. The upside is that 780 is extremely tough, impervious to the elements, and tenaciously adhesive.
    "The former lives of objects need not interfere with their current use."

I'm not familiar with the PMC 780, so I was going to suggest a polyurethane. The 780 might be a better material for the use, though.

Roger

I can answer this one. I saw them making these on how its made. The handle is actually a bunch of "discs" with a punched square hole in the middle. The company shoves about 40 of them on the handle and I think it's done with heat or glue. So figure out how to get ahold of these discs and problem solved. Why not cast an aluminum handle on it and then shape with either a lathe or lots of sanding?????

How about splitting some wood and then wrapping it with some leather? Cheap and easy fix. Hit up a shoe store for some heavy duty leather. (If they still have shoe stores with actual shoemakers) lol

Who's the man now?????????????

Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Why not just cast an aluminum handle around it? I dont think the shock from it would be too awful, unless your wacking with it 1000 times a day....
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

That reminds me of unique cane I picked up a couple of years ago. The disks are about 3/16" thick for the most part and are tapered down towards the tip. Damage only goes up about 14" from the remnants of the tip. It looks like damage from a flooded basement. I'd sure like to restore it somehow.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pete

You guys never fail to provide good answers. Polyurethane and aluminum casting around it. Genius!

I wonder if there is some kind of liquid rubber like they put in truck beds that would work?

I wonder if they sell the discs anywhere? Not sure what they'd be called.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
    You guys never fail to provide good answers. Polyurethane and aluminum casting around it. Genius!

I wonder if there is some kind of liquid rubber like they put in truck beds that would work?

I wonder if they sell the discs anywhere? Not sure what they'd be called.
    Ya know, ya could just ask Irwin. They are one of the few that are still here in the states. You can call them and not get some asshat in india with the first name of Bob.
    (If you need to contact us via phone, call us at 1-800-GO-IRWIN. Hours are Monday - Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM EST)

Give them some BS story like it was your grandfathers, appeal to the heart. Bet they send you a box of leathers discs.

Here is a thread about your handle. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-handle-repair
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Administrator Site Admin
    PMC 780 polyurethane is liquid rubber.

R
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Try Dixie Gun Works for the leather disks. They sold them at one point for making knife handles. You would stack them up and shove them on the handle somehow, peen the end of the handle over to hold them on, and then sand to shape. Dip it in polyurethane, let it soak for a few, and let it drip dry.
    Vade Libram Harenae.