Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A thread for random quick questions

Those are great ideas. There is an old boy down the street from me who fixes leather shoes and belts. He might be the guy to speak to about leather and punches. I might pay him a visit this week and see if that option is viable. Why dip in polyurethane? Wouldn't the leather hold up?

I think the factory dipped or sprayed that leather in something. Maybe to keep it from absorbing stuff like oil...?
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

The poly works like the resin in fiberglass, turns the handle into a homogenous unit.
    Vade Libram Harenae.

I would do it in wood, wrap string up the handle, and coat it in a few coats of plasti-dip.

It would be easy to use a casting urethane to replace that handle, and if it were a daily use tool it might be more durable... but I would set my self a task given your chance. Estwing used to refurbish old hammers and if they no longer I imagine they can point you at someone who does, or might sell you the parts. I am old enough to have swung leather estwing for pay and still have a couple... well worth the trouble even if it is only for bragging rights.

Quick Question: Wasting time watching the BS that is forged in fire and noticed the guys coating the inside of these boxes with liquid paper before filling with steel for forging. The idea is it helps the outside steel from becoming one with damascus... SOOOO I was thinking, I know some around here use kiln wash on steel crucibles, anyone try liquid paper for the same task?
    Seems to me this could actually work.

FWIW, these idiots tonight on tv had to cast a bronze guard for their blades in their "foundries" :-/
    Get ready for the first timers around here, you think it's bad now??????
    Last edited by jagboy69; 01-13-2017 at 06:58 AM.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Blog Entries
    Had the same problem, wrapped the handle with tennis grip tape. Problem solved.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure if this should go in the burner sub forum or if this random question thread would suffice, so I'm asking here.

I'm already thinking about making the jump to propane for fuel, but I picked a weird time to make that decision. I built the bucket foundry that everyone here seems to dislike because it was cheap and easy and I don't really have plans past aluminum so it seemed like it would work. When I made the bucket, I drilled my forced air input at an angle down to the bottom of the heating area. Then I made the decision about propane when I saw how little room for charcoal I had around my crucible.

So my question is, can/will a reil style burner work at a downward angle or does it have to be straight in? And if it has to be straight in, does that mean I need a new furnace setup or could I plug the hole with some mix and just drill another one?

I'm just at an information overload as far as research goes because the weather has not been cooperating with actually doing anything and letting me gain experience,and I haven't really found anything that answers this question. Honestly I've seen so many kinds of propane burner setups I don't even know where to start putting parts lists together at this point.

Welcome to the forum RevRico. The reason nobody likes it (if it's the KOR one) is because it's made of plaster and will fall apart very quickly if not immediately. A lot of people do just fine with bucket furnaces made with functional materials.
    Propane and oil burners are generally introduced to the furnace level to the ground an inch or two off the bottom and entering the furnace bore tangentially so the fuel and air are able to mix thoroughly and burn completely as well as to distribute the heat as uniformly as possible around the furnace and crucible. I've never seen a "straight-in" burner used for propane. I don't know if having it pointed downward will work or not. Giving the fuel and air the space to mix and burn is critical so the swirl seems imperative. Check out the furnace build sub forum and also backyardmetalcasting.com.
    I hope this helps.

Pete

Hey RevRico, welcome to the forum!

A propane burner ought to come into the furnace at a tangent to the inner wall so that the flames swirl around the crucible to heat it evenly. I can't see why a downward angle would be a problem, but blasting straight down at the center of the furnace bore would be less than optimal and probably will take a toll on the unevenly heated crucible. If re-angling the tuyere is impossible, that would be unfortunate, I'd at least try to have a different side of the crucible facing the burner each time you melt in that case. Maybe even give it a quarter turn every few minutes during the melt.

If the widely disliked furnace design you're talking about is the one I'm thinking of from youtube, the disapproval is mainly due to the plaster lining that seems designed to fail (edit - dammit Petee beat me to it while I was typing). But I agree it must have been cheap to build, so not a huge loss when it does fall apart, and you will have had the chance to try pouring a casting or two. We've gotten a lot of new members here because of that guy's furnace video. Once they have rebuilt their broken down KoR furnaces using some more suitable type of refractory so they can pour a third casting, I am hopeful some of them will go on to impress us all.

Jagboy, I think you guys must get the new Forged in Fire episodes sooner than we do up here, we only just got the season premiere this week (the pandat), where no casting was involved. If an upcoming episode has bronze casting, then that is something I am really looking forward to! I appreciate everything you're saying, but I see it in a little different light than you do, I think. That is one of the few shows I look forward to watching with my family every week - for me it's hard not to like a show like that, since it inspires people (like my son) to get off the video game console and instead come out in the shed with me now and then and try to make stuff. Plus there is lots of fire and tools and they brutally murder a whole bunch of dead animals and goo-filled ballistic dummies with frickin' homemade swords in each episode, which I find much, much more entertaining than, say, Dancing With The Stars or American Idol... I was the raw newbie a round here a couple years ago, and everyone was really welcoming and patient with my newbie questions. I hope I have contributed more to this community since then than just a source of annoyance for the more experienced members. Anhyow, like I said I do appreciate what you're saying, maybe you are right and we are about to get a whole bunch of new people asking the exact same questions about how to cast bronze sword guards because they all made the same mistakes the guys on the show probably did/will. Sure, that could get a bit tiresome, but the new people will also bring new ideas and skills with them; surely some of that will prove to be valuable. Heck, maybe it'll be the liquid paper idea itself that will catch on and buy some extra life for all our steel crucibles!

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos