Whats up guys I have been very busy this winter but I have managed to start another build. After building the Gingery lathe I really was looking forward towards building a mill. I was originally going to build a beefier version of the horizontal Gingery mill but I decided to go vertical.
I wasn't going to share until I was pretty much done but I figured by sharing maybe I could get some good ideas from the AA community. I am in the process of shaping and installing the ways onto the column. The steel I am using seems to be a good material it seems stronger/harder than cold rolled but it has rust and many pitting spots all over it. It is 1 inch thick, 4" wide and 16" long. I have tried hand sanding it on the surface plate but it is going to take awhile. I may get it machined or I may have to resort to buying a new piece of steel which will most likely be half the thickness due to budget concerns.
100_9389.jpg 100_9377.jpg 100_9376.jpg100_9374.jpg
I'm going to use an aluminum casting for the head and further down the road I may convert the head to steel. I cut 4 pieces of stainless steel and bolted them into the column which the ways will be bolted onto. This will push the head out further and will give me more milling travel. In the picture you can see the ways sitting on the 4 pieces as it will be mounted. I may be putting to much weight on the column though I am going to fill in the column with some medium such as sand or cement to counter the disproportionate weight. Once the ways are done the fun part can begin, thanks for taking a look.