Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast Aluminum Young's Modulus

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the Threadjack MP, I have move the aviation casting discussion to it's own thread.
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...ng-in-aviation
    Mark

MP, I am unfamiliar with the clamp you are making but strong is best.
    Last thing you need is something breaking, that can be worse the damaging the work.
    on that note you have two options there, 1) operator tuition 2) build in a slip clutch that will limit the permissible torque.
    If the clamp is to be used by multiple operator's, the 2 is the one to go for & is very simple to make.
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Remember when designing something. The toughest thing on a tool is the 200 pound Gorilla with it in their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by mpowley66 View Post
    My question for you, is how will cast alumimum's Youngs modulus (modulus of elasticity) compare to what is listed in most reference texts. I do not degass my aluminum and there usually is some mild porosity in my castings. In my mind the stiffness should be decreased by approximately whatever percentage of the casting is porosity. Ex If 1% of the cut cross section is bubbles than the beams stiffness should be 1% less than ideal. This is assuming that the bubbles are evenly distributed and quite small.
    MP
    For something important but not life threatening I reckon I would be derating the YM of home cast aluminium by 20%. There is no science to my reply, just a gut feeling from looking at the cell structure and porosity in my dissected castings.