Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What did you last fix that others would walk away from?

My used tool guy gave me a pair of wire work pliers locked up solid with rust. Put 'em in a baggie with oil, tapped them with a hammer, worked them backand forth, and now they're good.
    "The former lives of objects need not interfere with their current use."

I just out in a new timing belt in my 2000 mazda protege. It was quite a job for someone who is new to working with cars. Its a great little car and hopefully it will live to see another 100 000km

Mrs. Mott had $600 in her purse and was literally heading out the door to buy a new refrigerator with no inkling that it might be something fixable... I'm just glad she stopped before actually leaving and told me where she was going!

I don't know jack about electricity, but it took less than an hour on youtube before I figured out how to fix it with just $70 spent in parts, and a half hour drive to pick them up. Probably could have gotten parts that would work fine for cheaper and likely closer if I knew what I was doing... but I don't, so I bought the "right" relay and capacitor kit for my fridge model. Still running fine today, over a year later. Nobody got electrocuted.

So sadly, because the aforementioned wife had already made me get rid of my yard-fridge (and indeed the rest of my beloved appliance hedge as well), I do not have a used fridge compressor to play around with.

But having cold food and ice cubes is OK too... I guess.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Nothing gets thrown out at my work unless I give it the ok. That's the rule. I own all of it so I get to pick. Sounds kind of dickish but I can't even begin to count the rescues I've made from my own dumpster. No one gets in trouble for breaking stuff, they get in trouble for throwing stuff out. Some folks have lived their whole lives in the disposable world. And some of those who haven't aren't the ones paying for replacement. Even jobs that are botched at first glance can be remediated way cheaper than by just shit-canning it and starting over. It's easy to just write it off to people being lazy or inattentive (a machine will behave like it's broken when the f'n thing isn't plugged in - I shit you not) but often it's because they're not aware of how things work or even that they can be repaired. A broken wheel does not render a $250 office chair junk. Something that's dirty is not broken, it needs to be cleaned.
    An employee of mine, about 60 yrs old and pretty well-rounded was amazed that he could actually replace the brushes in a couple of old drill motors he got from his late father. He fixed them both for about $20. He just didn't know.
    By the time something gets in my dumpster you can believe it's either complete junk, can't possibly be repurposed, or its condition is so bad or expensive to repair that I just have to let it go. You have to do the math sometimes. None of my equipment is broken or substandard for very long whether it's a pencil sharpener or a press. It either gets repaired or replaced. But I pay, so I decide.
    So I really can't answer the original question because I'm the only one allowed to walk away.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobho Mott View Post
    So sadly, because the aforementioned wife had already made me get rid of my yard-fridge (and indeed the rest of my beloved appliance hedge as well), I do not have a used fridge compressor to play around with.
    Jeff
    When you see the garbage as a treasure, a new world of opportunities arises.

Quote Originally Posted by Petee716 View Post
    Nothing gets thrown out at my work unless I give it the ok. Pete
    You're a wise man. What business are you into, if it's not too intrusive?

Things keep coming, here a steam cleaner I just repaired. A broken switch... as most of time.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TRYPHON974 View Post
    When you see the garbage as a treasure, a new world of opportunities arises.

You're a wise man. What business are you into, if it's not too intrusive?
    I'm a commercial printer.
    Of course I have to add that I have been guilty of laziness, ignorance, and wastefulness myself at times, so I'm less likely to be an ogre about it. Instead I think it's better to set the example, and also, keep a lock on the dumpster!lol

Pete

Blog Entries
    1952 Drill press. Made in Vienna.
    Fantastic machine. Glad I restored it. The 330W 3phase motor, has much bigger Watts than the 370W Chinese drill press I was using before It runs really smoothly on all new bearings.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rotarysmp View Post
    1952 Drill press. Made in Vienna.
    Fantastic machine. Glad I restored it. The 330W 3phase motor, has much bigger Watts than the 370W Chinese drill press I was using before It runs really smoothly on all new bearings.
    Mark
    Nice restoration, looks like a good quality drill press.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    It is. Must have cost a fortune new. ARO had a sales office on the Opera Ring in down town Vienna back then. I think the only sales show rooms still in that area are jewellery, expensive dresses, and the Bosendorfer Pianos.
    I paid €70 for it and it was sitting out in the rain.

I "bought" / was given a Jet 14" bandsaw by a buddy. I paid him half what he had in it, $50. The motor and switch work. The upper tracking wheel bracket is broken. I believe all of the parts are there but I need to cast another bracket for it. He was going to scrap it, I felt bad so I took it in.