Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pete's new furnace

Lookin good Pete. That's definitely the second best use for a beer keg (first requires a tapper). Hopefully the weather will ease up a bit for you. You're WMO fueled, correct?

Best,
    Kelly

Thanks Kelly. That breeze wasn't going to let up , and basic survival won over my stubbornness. The danger of exposure aside, I don't think my WMO would have been very cooperative. Of course I could have just used siphoned diesel, or I could........ wait for another day. Once I take the furnace outside, the lightbulb goes away and all the moisture has to go before it freezes. So basically once I start, I have to finish.

Pete

Looks good Pete! I like the idea you had on the lifting mechanism. It left some play and adjustment on the lid. Too bad the turn buckles melted the first time out. Maybe use some chain or something...

I just updated my furnace build thread with lid lifting improvements. I see it being really easy to adapt some of the design to your mechanism.
    I got tired of being told what I can't do...

Good to hear from you Scav,
    I'm hoping to not have to put the chains back on. The lid only weighs about 50lbs and is easily handled by the edge mount but of course the thing still has the cosmolene on it. Once it's been exposed to real heat a couple of times it may be a different story. Whether I end up with sealing problems, the mods would be pretty straightforward.

Pete

It's been drying now for the better part of the week and my nightly dreams about firing it have been waking me up at night so I dragged it out and did the deed after work today. It warmed up quite a bit over the past couple days so it was tolerable outside and the oil flowed well. Small fire, bigger fire, bigger bigger fire, and finally oil. We'll see how it fared tomorrow.

image.jpg

Pete

Pete congrats on pretty much finishing your furnace it looks nice. I dig the triangle base, maybe you can put some snow tires on it if necessary since the North East has gotten bombarded with snow.

Thanks Mic,
    Yeah the base is probably bigger than it needs to be. I really wanted 3 points of contact so it wouldn't rock and I wanted one of the angles to be below the swing of the lid so it wouldn't tip from the weight. I overestimated the tipping potential I guess. The added footprint and structure can't hurt though. Even though the exterior body of the furnace gets way too hot to touch, the snow under the plastic wheels doesn't melt so I think the added distance is helpful too.
    I don't anticipate having to move it much now that it's been fired, but a set of studded snows would give me that little added peace of mind!

I checked the bore this morning. It looks pretty much like it did prior to firing except it's white instead of gray. No cracks (yet).

Pete