Thread: Plasti dip and casting

Plasti dip and casting

Hi. I'm sorry to make my first post such a bizarre one, but while I was gathering materials to build my flasks I had an idea. I'm very new to this, in part thanks to kind of random, and I've spent the better part of the last week reading this forum, quite happily when I figured out how to see all the threads instead of just a few.

But one thing I haven't seen mentioned here, and I haven't found in Google involves plasti dip.

I've seen a large amount of people using shellac on their flasks and patterns to seal the wood from the moisture in the sand and provide a smooth surface to work on. Over this weekend I've been applying shellac to my flasks and boards I preparation for my first casting, so I guess I'm not the right guinea pig for an experiment.

Could plasti dip be used to seal wood and cover patterns?

It seems like it would provide a good moisture lock, possibly help hold sands into the flasks, and maybe even be a nice smooth surface compete with fillets and radii.

Maybe the reason I can't find any information about this is because it's a terrible idea and could never work for a list of scientific reasons I don't understand, but maybe it's a hidden gem?

I'm not thinking as a shell for lost foam or wax, but as a sealant for flasks and boards, or to stop a wooden pattern from shrinking. I just think it does such a good job with cars, it could work with wood as well.

plasti dip would be aweful for patterns imo, you want the pattern to be glass smooth so it slides out of the sand without grabbing at all, thats why you put draft on patterns. I find it is pretty easy to rub plasti dip off of stuff, and the abrasive nature of the casting sand being rammed into the flasks again and again, it wouldnt last long at all, then it would need to be redone. The rubber in it would also mess with the oil in oil bonded sand and cause all kinds of problems with it turning gummy, then another problem after another. Also if you get any heat around it, you might end up setting the flask on fire just from radiant heat and it wont go out like just shelaced wood will when the heat is removed.

Plasti dip is so thick you would actually have to compensate for that to maintain dimensions on your pattern. and of course it would completely overwhelm fine detail

V/r HT1

Put another in the nay column. I can't think of one advantage to plasti dip over "traditional" methods. I guess it could build up chamfers but like previously mentioned it would just end up peeling off.
    FLAME ON...!!!!