Thread: Trying to identify furnace

Trying to identify furnace

Years ago a friend and i purchased a furnace or a burner , not sure which category it falls under, but it had a base similar to a coleman lantern with a valve to pump up pressure. On top of that was a coil which the gas flowed through and then the burner. It burned white gas or coleman fuel. After being lite for a few minutes the gas became superheated and became a turbo torch. Unfortunately my friend passed away and his family sold of most of his stuff with letting me know. Does anyone know about this unit and where i might find plans to make one? Thanks for any help.

I think what your talking about is just a gasoline blowtorch, I have a few here and you can find them at antique stores and junk shops from time to time fairly cheaply. I usually pick mine up for 2-3 dollars, and only thing really wrong with them is the cork in the check valve wears out and needs replaced. You can also find them on ebay all the time, which most on there run around 10-15 dollars.

Also, thats not a furnace or burner, it's just an old blow torch that was used for soldering stuff and brazing up smaller items, which is what I mainly use mine for.

Quote Originally Posted by cae2100 View Post
    I think what your talking about is just a gasoline blowtorch, I have a few here and you can find them at antique stores and junk shops from time to time fairly cheaply. I usually pick mine up for 2-3 dollars, and only thing really wrong with them is the cork in the check valve wears out and needs replaced. You can also find them on ebay all the time, which most on there run around 10-15 dollars.

Also, thats not a furnace or burner, it's just an old blow torch that was used for soldering stuff and brazing up smaller items, which is what I mainly use mine for.
    It is definitely not a blowtorch. I have several of those. As i said this has a base just like an old coleman lantern. I forgot to mention, sorry important detail, that it had a a stand on top for a large graphite crucible. It melted everything we threw in it.

It sounds like maybe a lead/babbit melting pot then, I see them around from time to time but they're quite difficult to get ahold of due to bullet casters going nuts after them. maybe just an old one before they started using propane. They were also called plumbers furnaces.

Im thinking of something like this:

http://s805.photobucket.com/user/For..._0050.jpg.html

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cae2100 View Post
    It sounds like maybe a lead/babbit melting pot then, I see them around from time to time but they're quite difficult to get ahold of due to bullet casters going nuts after them. maybe just an old one before they started using propane. They were also called plumbers furnaces.

Im thinking of something like this:

http://s805.photobucket.com/user/For..._0050.jpg.html
    The base is similar but where the round metal canister on top of that one is a section of tubing comes straight up then coils back down and around the first section of tubing so when lite it super heats the fuel in the coil. When you first light it it burns normally but when it heats up increase the flame a lot. The first time we used it it was downright scary.

yea, there's different designs for those lead pots, you might be thinking of one of those, or your thinking of just a coil type alcohol stove, thats the only other thing I can think of. I would just look up on google for large coil type alcohol stoves or the plumber's furnaces.