Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propane torch will flames out when I close the lid on the forge

Propane torch will flames out when I close the lid on the forge

Hi All
    Please advise
    This is the first time I have fired up the forge.
    Propane torch will flame out when I fully close lid, it operates fine with the lid in the open position or not quite fully lowered i.e. 1/8" or more gap.
    Propane Tip 0.6mm diameter.
    Have tried different propane pressures from 7lb to 30lb per square inch and with and without force air from 3 speed 12" desk fan with a 2 gallon bucket used as temp funnel to force the air into the torch.
    The forge is made from a large propane bottle. The refractory (3000F) walls ) 2 &1/2" thick.
    Forge chamber 12" deep and 9 & 1/2" in diameter.
    The hole in the lid is 4" diameter
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator Site Admin
    You haven't described your burner. You say propane torch. Without knowing more about what you have, I would suspect you are trying to use some sort of torch that cannot support the size flame you need. Your furnace looks exactly right. And a 4 inch vent in the lid is fine.

Tell us what your burner is.

To get the terminology straight, the photographs are of a foundry furnace, not of a blacksmith's forge.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

burner looks like a cross between a Reil and Oliver. I suspect that th propane orifice is located in the tube and not back in the venturi causing it to run on the rich side. grab a hair dryer and push some more air to it...
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

Thanks for your reply Richard

The barrel torch body is 1" diameter stainless steel pipe 6" long, the flare for the flame is a 1" to 1 1/4" reducer, The air intake end is a 1" to 1 1/2" reducer.
    For Propane tip I used a 0.6mm plasma tip
    This torch is then fitted into 2" pipe.
    Air line attached was to 110lb compressed air storage bottle
    The ball valve for the air was only just cracked open, I then tested flame with just slightly more air.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the propane torch I made.
    The YouTube video heading is below

Convert Your Backyard Foundry To Propane! ("Gas Blaster" Propane Torch)

Thanks for all your help Ric

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    Hi All
    Please advise
    This is the first time I have fired up the forge.
    Propane torch will flame out when I fully close lid, it operates fine with the lid in the open position or not quite fully lowered i.e. 1/8" or more gap.
    Propane Tip 0.6mm diameter.
    Have tried different propane pressures from 7lb to 30lb per square inch and with and without force air from 3 speed 12" desk fan with a 2 gallon bucket used as temp funnel to force the air into the torch.
    The forge is made from a large propane bottle. The refractory (3000F) walls ) 2 &1/2" thick.
    Forge chamber 12" deep and 9 & 1/2" in diameter.
    The hole in the lid is 4" diameter
    Thank you
    From the look of the flame you are running to much air, cut the air back until you get some yellow tips in the flame and then increase the air just enough to get rid of the yellow, the other method would be to increase the propane pressure to feed more fuel into the burner. When you put the lid on the air fuel velocity gets to high and blows out the flame,

Art B

well, thats no reil burner...LOL
    you dont need a flair in a foundry furnace, but it really wouldnt matter any ways. You kust need to find the proper air fuel ratio when the lid is shut...

Good call Yoda....
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

Cool Forge furnace get the terminology straight,

Richard, get the terminology straight,
    With the lid open it is still a forge
    forge 1 |fɔːdʒ|

verb [ with obj. ]
    1 make or shape (a metal object) by heating it in a fire or furnace and hammering it. he forged a great suit of black armour.
    2 create (something) strong, enduring, or successful: the two women forged a close bond | the country is forging a bright new future.
    3 produce a fraudulent copy or imitation of (a document, signature, banknote, or work of art). the signature on the cheque was forged.
    noun
    a blacksmith's workshop; a smithy.
    • a furnace for melting or refining metal.
    • a workshop or factory containing a furnace for melting metal.

forge 1 |fɔːdʒ|
    verb [ with obj. ]
    1 make or shape (a metal object) by heating it in a fire or furnace and hammering it. he forged a great suit of black armour.
    2 create (something) strong, enduring, or successful: the two women forged a close bond | the country is forging a bright new future.
    3 produce a fraudulent copy or imitation of (a document, signature, banknote, or work of art). the signature on the cheque was forged.
    noun
    a blacksmith's workshop; a smithy.
    • a furnace for melting or refining metal.
    • a workshop or factory containing a furnace for melting metal.

Ric

That's a really nicely made furnace. Did you make it? If so lets see the build pics!

I agree that the airflow is probably to blame for flaming out the burner. I think what is happening is the lid is causing some back pressure inside the furnace and that messes with the flame stability. Increasing or decreasing the airflow is the way to go.

I'm not sure if a compressed air supply will work for a burner. Nobody I know of on the forum uses a compressor air supply alone to run a burner. Blowers are used (rotary vane blowers, or air movers) to ram air in. About 100-200 CFM is more than enough. I got mine from ebay and use a car battery charger to run it.

Also, my 2 cents on terminology (not trying to be a dick here!) but the furnace in the top pic looks like what most people call a furnace. You can even see the plinth in the bottom used to support the crucible. A forge is usually a horizontal furnace that either opens along the entire length or one of the flat ends open up. The burner tube is also usually in a different position for forges. You can still use the furnace for forging if you like, but from what the photos show it is more accurately called a furnace. We all went through the terminology learning curve, just search any member's first few posts and see how many times we messed up the terms haha.

Forge: