Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick project (hopefully)

Quick project (hopefully)

Havent had much shed time this year so am doing a quick holiday project.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

That is a very nice looking shiny and kinda pointy thing! Since you painted the part that was held in the lathe, I assume that is a core print, not something to saw off later...

I love pictures of new patterns.

So what's it for?

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

No core in this one, it just gets cast solid

Donk

I'm curious, when you split something like that, do account for the material removed by sawing? Or does the line just get blended at the parting and get filed/polished off later?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Saw it first then glue it back together with a thin piece of paper in the join then turn it.
    Splits on the paper no loss.

Donk

Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    Saw it first then glue it back together with a thin piece of paper in the join then turn it.
    Splits on the paper no loss.

Donk
    AHHHSOOO... Ancient chinese secret eh? I always wondered how swarf loss is accounted for. Learn something new everyday. SLICK!
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Yep, I've done this trick before. I used tissue-paper and 50:50 glue/water. Works great though...do you try to accurately gauge how much paper is needed to match the saw kerf?

In the composites world, one trick that's done, is making a kind of fixture which exactly registers/matches the original (whole) model and secures each side rigidly in a framework (that can be disassembled). You then remove the part, and saw it in half. Next, the cut-face on half the pattern is covered in release (packing tape works great). Finally, both halves are re-installed into the fixture, and the kerf-gap is pumped full of epoxy filler. When cured, remove from the fixture and voila, the halves separate and the kerf is perfectly filled all around (w/in 5-10 thou or so).

I think maybe with sand-casting, the surface finish is such that this level of accuracy is unnecessary. You can post-process/machine (file, sand, polish) the part which isn't (so much) possible with composites. Does this sound like a reasonable understanding?

(obviously, different parts for different purposes, maybe finish isn't critical at all, maybe it is)
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Thickness of the saw kerf is irrelevant as it is cut and rejoined before shaping.

Donk

A finial of some sort maybe, or lightning conductor?

Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    Thickness of the saw kerf is irrelevant as it is cut and rejoined before shaping.

Donk
    Oooohhh, I C it now, totally missed that from the pics. Thanks.
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov