Thread: Yea I have Petrobond (Now What)

Red face Yea I have Petrobond (Now What)

Well after mulling it over (PUN INTENDED) I broke down and bought 40# of petrobond sand. Fresh out of the box there is very little green strength. I do have a muller, but I am not for sure how to go about getting the stuff right. Marine 2 cycle oil? Add alcohol? It's almost impossible to locate the petrobond oil. After investing in the sand I want to keep it in good shape.
    Thanks in advance
    Jack

if it is new just mull it for 11 minutes, it will improve greatly... remember P bond does not like cold, so if it is cold in your hand it will not perform at it's best... low green strength (crumbly) if you like technical terms

V/r HT1

Not 10, (too soft) or 12, (that be too firm). But 11 is juuuussst riiight.

Cheers Phil
    So, whats your Plan B?

Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    Not 10, (too soft) or 12, (that be too firm). But 11 is juuuussst riiight.

Cheers Phil
    Patternmaker/Molder NAVEDTRA 12207 August 1993 Chapter 12 preparing waterless bonded sand

( I don't just make up numbers)

V/r HT1

Being a retired aerospace tool and die maker where perfection is unattainable, 11 minutes it is. And yes it's semi cold in the shop. After I clean out the green sand residue and set the metal box of sand close to the fire I will run it thru the muller. Wood heat is all I have and my drafty shop is lacking a few creature comforts. But I do have indoor plumbing.
    Still working on a good molding bench at any rate after I rearrange the shop a little I will try to post some pic's of my adventure. I haven't given up on the green sand I made I will use it for bigger projects.
    Jack

the friction of it mulling that long will warm it. it cannot hurt to add a spoon of catalyst also, but dont add oil or clay unless it has burnt out in use (HARD USE) heavy brass parts or cast iron really shopuld not use petrobond for cast iron unlesss the parts are tiny

V/r HT1

It's below 45 Deg in the shop even with the stove. Mulled the new Petrobond and to my surprise my somewhat not very clumping sand came to life. Next mission is to brake out the furnace and crucible.
    I hoping to be making a new furnace shortly. I have enough kaowool to make about a 2" thick blanket and wondering if a grog mixture of pear lite, busted up old bricks, and fire clay would be adequate to back that up. Using pear lite for a facing I hear is not a good idea and the flame directly on the wool is also not recommended. I will have some leftover wool so I could make some patch pieces to replace the burnt out place.
    Gee's I can hardly wait.
    Jack

If you are using 2" of kaowool the perlite isnt really going to be of any benefit. Its generally used to enhance insulation and youll already have more than enough with the wool. Plus it will weaken the mixture. I just finished my new furnace and i used 2:1 sand:fireclay by weight as a backing layer and then 1" of mizzou. I understand that you want to use the wool as a hotface. Ironsides (youtube name luckygen) has a video showing how he refaced his oil furnace with kaowool and protected it with some kind of refractory coating.

Pete

If you just want to face up the wool, Satanite is the way to go, rated for 3200F.
    Here is a build with it and it's what my furnace is made of.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...ion-successful
    Bones

Thanks to all casters and wannabees. Looking at the Satanite. Though I have used the furnace many times with the same blanket of wool I have not experienced any burn out. The outside of the pipe gets warm but not hot that's with just one layer 1" wool. But it is not large enough for the graphite crucible I bought years ago with the anticipation of poring brass. So a bigger furnace and burner are on the drawing board or at least on the one between the left and right side of what's left of my brain. I have been taking pictures as I go and hope when it's a working foundry I can have a show and tell.
    I have access to a waste oil burning unit that is used in commercial shop heating units would that work as a burner for a furnace?
    machinejack