Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Engine Build

Banned
    Got it.
    That is a nice little engine.
    I like it.

thanks, it is alot of fun to play with, but it's not really mine to keep. It'll probably be gone within the next few days.

Banned
    Make up a story; tell them you lost it; tell them anything.

lol, it was easy to make, and just made out of random bits that I just had laying around. Also, it was the plan from the beginning, so I cant do that, lol. If I were to make another, it'd probably take maybe 3-4 hours to make it.

I figured I would do an update, I got the cylinder ends, crosshead, piston rod, bearing caps, and main body all machined up. I then used the superglue and locating screws trick to attach the cylinder end cover to the body of the steam engine, then drilled the bolt holes to bolt it all together. I also redid the piston rings on the piston and got rid of the hard teflon rings, which were causing too much friction imo, so I replaced them with some soft teflon packing, it just glides now. Eventually Ill replace it with graphite yarn packing rope, which is more of what Im looking for, but dont have atm. Ill have to cut the eccentric strap in half, then solder it back together and bore it out to size so that there is no gap after splitting/machining..

Photo2114.jpgPhoto2113.jpgPhoto2118.jpg

I was working on the shop like crazy also, the walls are covered in 3/4" aluminized foam insulation, backed with a layer of fiberglass insulation, and the ceiling has double layers of the aluminized insulation. It also has all of the electrical work done also, but we're just running the breaker box off of an extension cord atm since we're only using it to power a few low power LED bulbs. It stays cool most of the day in there, and it doesnt take any time at all to cool it down with a small air conditioner. I also got my first piece of equipment in there, one of the most important ones, lol. The ceiling has since been finished and painted since that that pic was taken also.

Photo2102.jpgPhoto2116.jpg