I figured with the vise finished, I would start on THE project, lol. Ive been planning on building a larger steam engine for quite some time, which since it's too cold/nasty out to work on tearing down the lathe to strip and paint it, I needed a new project, so here it is.
Its going to be a 3" stroke, 3" bore steam engine, dual cylinder, and probably the base being made out of welded together C channel as just a small mill engine. All together, it should be around 2-2 1/2 feet long, and have a 10" flywheel. By my calculations, it should be around 5-6HP depending on the boiler I hook up to it, which is more than enough power for everything I could ever want to do with it. So far, Ive just gotten the cylinder pattern made for it, which I still need to build the corebox, steam chest, steam chest cover, and cylinder caps, but after the cylinder is done, the rest usually goes much faster.
I could have gone with a custom designed frame and such, but due to my crucible not being big enough to pour enough metal for a full frame of the size of this engine, I opted to go with a design similar to a stuart victoria twin in the way that the piston is mounted to the frame. The rest of it will be different tho, and all of the parts will be custom made and cast out. I plan on using a displacement lubricator, which I already have a few brass round stock pieces that I was going to turn down and make it from.
Here's pics of the cylinder pattern, all thats left to do with it is put a few coats of laquer on it to seal it up, then it'll be good to go. It looks all white colored because it's still covered in dust from sanding on it for the past day.
Im not sure what kind of wood it's made out of, I just grabbed it off of the wood pile, (we use a woodburner for heat) and just turned it down.
I discovered that I dont have a big enough bit to use as a core bit, so Ill have to go make one.