Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling good with myself

Feeling good with myself

Not sure exactly what transpired tonight but i was over the sisters house of a woman that is in our dog rescue group and met a bunch of new people. The persons house we were over husband had committed suicide a couple of years ago. I met her 14 yr old son tonight. He was given a cross bow for Christmas and was pretty excited about it. Now "somebody" on this forum sparked my interest in slingshots on this forum and I have been carrying one with me for months now and have become a reasonable shot with one. So i introduced this young man to the sling shot and he said "that Goliath stuff is over and bull $#!t....LOL man!! He said you cant kill anything with a sling shot.... So I took him out into the back yard to shoot cans and he pulled out a deer target. I sunk a 3/8" steel ball about 1.5" into its skull. His response was holy $!!t... So I taught him how to shoot it gangster style and he buried a few into the target himself. Before I left the party I went to hand him the ammo, to which he gave me a fist pump to say good by before receiving anything... Then I dropped the shot into his hand and placed my favorite slingshot on his chest and went on out the door. Since im not allowed to smoke in my wifes car I was outside for a bit, maybe a couple minutes, and he came out and hugged me and said thank you.
    Man I feel great, But im missing my favorite sling shot LOL....Wasn't something I had planned on, or expected, just happened. Sometimes its the little things that have the biggest impact.
    There's alot more to this story that I found out after the fact, but i wont be posting that here. Some things best kept private....
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

Nice one David.

Props to you. I'm sure that slingshot meant a lot to you but I can promise it means way more to that boy. Having another man to hang out with and share the experience with will also be with him forever. There should be more people like you in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyjp77 View Post
    Props to you. I'm sure that slingshot meant a lot to you but I can promise it means way more to that boy. Having another man to hang out with and share the experience with will also be with him forever. There should be more people like you in the world.
    My wife got a text from his mom this afternoon, said all he talked about all night was that sling shot. Im currently looking at sligshot templates so I can make myself a new one. Maybe Ill cast it in brass and add a walnut burl handle. I will be making two, I know someone who would appreciate another one that is on the fancy side
    Apparently the boy suffers from asperger's and is normally not social. I know nothing about this affliction, he seemed perfectly normal to me but my wife just got 2 more texts from people praising me and what i did.
    Maybe I should introduce him to metal casting??

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Maybe I should introduce him to metal casting??
    I think that would be a great idea. Imagine the amount of personal pride and confidence he would gain if he helped design and pour his new sling shot, that's the sort of thing a kid never forgets.

Sometimes it is the relatively small things that make a dramatic difference in our lives. Your gift may be one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Sometimes it is the relatively small things that make a dramatic difference in our lives. Your gift may be one of those.
    But was it the gift or a simple act of kindness?

My ex-girlfriends's son has Asperger's syndrome, he's very particular and is growing into a clever and focussed young man. If this lad is anything similar you may find he will be fascinated by your work (and soon pointing out where you are going wrong!) With Douglas things were very black and white which sometimes left a lot to be desired in social settings LOL!

The new slingshot sounds great, where is the thread........

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    But was it the gift or a simple act of kindness?
    It can be both, the two are not mutually exclusive. The gift was spontaneous and heartfelt, he got something in the receiving and I think you got something in the giving, those are the best kind of gifts.

Nice experience David. Volumes can and have been written on this very topic. I think the stars aligned when you gave him the gift. A different boy, a different conversation, a different mood, would have had a different outcome. But you chose to do what felt right to you at the time and under those circumstances. I think it's human nature to be that way. Selfless I mean. Unfortunately it's often buried in varying degrees under the Seven Deadly's so it appears to be exceptional when we experience it. Self esteem (feeling good for oneself) can only come from doing esteem-able things.
    A man once did something similar for me when I was a boy and it did at least 3 things for me
    It benefitted me at that moment
    It resulted in a lifelong friendship and mutual admiration
    It demonstrated a principle that I've found elusive at times but have never forgotten.

Pete