Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The PITA that is WAX

That is really nice. Going to look great! I bet the man in the chrome suit was a topic of discussion at the party next door lol.

Administrator Site Admin
    Hey, where do I get liver of sulphur?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Congrats! That came out great.

Did the shiny space suit work well enough you couldn't feel the big difference in heat between getting that close to a pot of molten bronze vs aluminum? I need to get some of that stuff, at least some gloves. I'm sick of all my heavy leather welding gloves having those shrunken shrivelled up pinkie fingers they can get when you skim dross from a bit too close up for a bit too long with a bit too short a handle on the skimmer...

Looking forward to seeing the pour video!

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Thanks guys. Yes Jeff... I am VERY HAPPY with my spacesuit. It's worth it's weight in gold and if it didn't smell like a fire, I'd hang it in my closet!
    I didnt feel a thing! The only time I felt a little warm was retrieving the shells from the kiln. The palm side of those gloves is leather and I used a strip of kaowool to handle the shells. Barry at outbackfoundry is on to something with his shell plucker he maneuvers into his burnout kiln. First time I went to reach into the kiln I forgot to turn it off! Luckily I remembered it was a giant toaster and caught myself! That could have ended pretty bad!

And yes my skimmer handle it too short too! That one is an easy fix and on the list! ;-)

Thanks Richard, I'll get it rolling.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Thats a heck of a journey from start to finish! I never even knew there was options for ceramic shell casting material in smaller quantities till I read this thread, I was always under the impression that you needed large drums of slurry and its a pain in the butt to deal with unless you do it everyday. This proves otherwise and that end product is very nice, nice work!

Yeah ceramic shell can be done at home without mixing drums. As long as the slurry doesn't dry out it can be resuspended before the next use.

That is the same liver of sulfur I just bought. Haven't tried it out yet but I plan to in 2 weeks when I cast some sterling silver things.

So jag, what will you make next?

What is the shelf life for Liver of Sulfur? I heard it doesn't last long.

Administrator Site Admin
    After you mix a batch you have to use it right away. It has no shelf life.

R
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Yep the solid stuff that was linked above doesn't last long at all.

They sell liquid stabilized liver of sulfur that last a few weeks but then after that it doesn't work well.

I too was put off ceramic shell in the beginning because of the constant 24/7 mixing nonsense. Then I found shellspen. The price of their stuff is STUPID. Next I learned about ransom and randolph. They were literally a quarter the price of the guys in florida. I'd bet my left nut shellspen is nothing more than repackaged R&R suspendaslurry. Someone like me with zero bronze casting knowledge or experience can pull this off with results like this still blows my mind.

What's next? Finish this little box and get back to wax work. It's going to come down to the pattern from what I can see. I tried zbrush and it drove me nuts! I need a weekend crash course on it. Then running patterns in wood/Cnc would speed things up a bit. Without that, I'll have to old school it working more wax or clay. Time will tell, but I'd like to build a large set of cast bronze gas lanterns decked out in some artsy fartsy accoutrements. Lol
    This box was a lesson for me in the process. They say ya gotta walk before ya run.
    Jason
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --