Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The PITA that is WAX

The box came out great, sprueing it up should be fun.

I cleaned up about 20# of this wax and was able to filter it through some cheesecloth. I heated it on direct heat and it kind of separated. Rasper said I should use a double boiler set up, just set a pan of the wax in a pan full of boiling water. Most of the dirt is on the outside, I scraped it of and had some pretty clean chunks to work with. I cleaned up some machinable wax I got from the same guy, it came out great.

Wow that is looking very nice, I really like the texture you ended up applying to the box itself.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Very cool looking! Nice work. The wax color almost looks like a natural bronze patina. If I missed it, what did you intend to cast this in?
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

I've been heating up the surface with a propane plumber torch and scraping the mold off the top. I felt a bit dizzy and got a headache doing that indoors so I'll continue outside later on. Probably isn't a great idea to inhale mold spores like that.

Thanks Jeff and Cactus... I like that pattern too, it should look awesome after I cast this thing in silicon bronze and hit it with a dark patina. The plan is to hit it with a buffing wheel and bring a little bling to the high spots. This should leave the low parts a little darker. I sliced the lid through the 4 leaves late last night with a jewelers saw. I see many hours now in front of me cleaning up the damage done during construction. This will be my first time ever pouring this stuff. Up to now, just aluminum. It's almost time to start thinking about molding this animal up. I have rebound 25 for the silicone and will probably use PoP for the mother mold. I also have a couple of different oil based clays to work with. So anytime you molding experts want to hit me up with some suggestions, I'm all ears.

I think the lid will be the easiest part for molding and spruing. Now the base will be a different animal mainly because of the feet I think. One step at a time. So I hope to start molding it in the next few days. Keep the suggestions coming, the only thing I can think of for now is to mold the base of this thing upside down on a slab of wood and just go to town with the rebound25 and hope like hell I can get the feet outta the silicone. Thoughts????

Jason
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

With a 25 hardness, you should be able to works the feet out of the Silicone. You may have to slit it a little, the vacuum may hold it in.

I think I'm ready for molding. I went to install the fleur de lis on the top tonight and it just didn't look right. I think the top has enough going on without extra junk stuck to it. Here she is, I've scrapped, melted and cleaned up all I'm going to do on this. I am thinking two silicone molds. The second picture shows orientation I hope is correct for molding. The bottom upside down on a board or something with mold release. Spray the wax with mold release and then start covering with the rebound 25. Same goes for the top. After I get 3/8" built up, apply the mothermold. While this sounds simple, I KNOW the bottom will not be because of the curvature of the feet. Please look at my photos and tell me whatcha think.

Thanks guys for the help.
    Jason

completed wax.jpg

Upsidedown.jpg
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Blog Entries
    I like it much, it's a piece of art!
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    While this sounds simple, I KNOW the bottom will not be because of the curvature of the feet. Please look at my photos and tell me whatcha think.
    As an alternative, could you just build a base follower for it to sit on so the legs will more or less pull and then remove the follower and complete the cast. Might stand a better chance of keeping your master in tact. Thought about how/where you will invest the wax?

Best,
    Kelly

I like the form, very nice!

Another alternative for the mould making would be to cut the feet off flush with the bottom of the box and mould 2 of the feet separate with dump moulds (no need to do all 4 as they are duplicated), then just run the box and lid as you suggested.

It all depends on time and money as to how you apply your rubber. If you have plenty of rubber and not a lot of time you could build a foam core (or thin icecream container plastic) dam around your box (upside down) stuck in place with hot glue or silicone. Then just dump the rubber in (make sure the box is secured down well, you dont want it floating! and that there are no gaps in your dam for the rubber to escape.)
    Or if you have more time than rubber you can paint it on in several layers till you get the desired thickness. Then make your mothermold on top.

Removing the feet would be a lot less hassle (and time consuming!) to make simple moulds and stick the wax feet on afterwards. Unless of course you want to practice your mould making skills?

Also, Ive never used rebound 25 but ive never needed mould release on wax masters, maybe someone with experience with it can let us know if its necessary?

John
    Last edited by Artopsy; 01-17-2017 at 02:23 PM.