Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The PITA that is WAX

The box came out great, sprueing it up should be fun.

I cleaned up about 20# of this wax and was able to filter it through some cheesecloth. I heated it on direct heat and it kind of separated. Rasper said I should use a double boiler set up, just set a pan of the wax in a pan full of boiling water. Most of the dirt is on the outside, I scraped it of and had some pretty clean chunks to work with. I cleaned up some machinable wax I got from the same guy, it came out great.

Wow that is looking very nice, I really like the texture you ended up applying to the box itself.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Very cool looking! Nice work. The wax color almost looks like a natural bronze patina. If I missed it, what did you intend to cast this in?
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

I've been heating up the surface with a propane plumber torch and scraping the mold off the top. I felt a bit dizzy and got a headache doing that indoors so I'll continue outside later on. Probably isn't a great idea to inhale mold spores like that.

Thanks Jeff and Cactus... I like that pattern too, it should look awesome after I cast this thing in silicon bronze and hit it with a dark patina. The plan is to hit it with a buffing wheel and bring a little bling to the high spots. This should leave the low parts a little darker. I sliced the lid through the 4 leaves late last night with a jewelers saw. I see many hours now in front of me cleaning up the damage done during construction. This will be my first time ever pouring this stuff. Up to now, just aluminum. It's almost time to start thinking about molding this animal up. I have rebound 25 for the silicone and will probably use PoP for the mother mold. I also have a couple of different oil based clays to work with. So anytime you molding experts want to hit me up with some suggestions, I'm all ears.

I think the lid will be the easiest part for molding and spruing. Now the base will be a different animal mainly because of the feet I think. One step at a time. So I hope to start molding it in the next few days. Keep the suggestions coming, the only thing I can think of for now is to mold the base of this thing upside down on a slab of wood and just go to town with the rebound25 and hope like hell I can get the feet outta the silicone. Thoughts????

Jason
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

With a 25 hardness, you should be able to works the feet out of the Silicone. You may have to slit it a little, the vacuum may hold it in.