Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless like-copper alloy?

Stainless like-copper alloy?

I am searching some alloy with copper coloration (red-orange to red-pink) stainless, with the property of conserve its luster (ie, not tend to darken, unlike common pure copper), for create different objects.

For now I haven't found useful information, the most near alloy to the thing that I am searching is "rose gold" (too expensive). I know that there is some "stainless" alloys of brass and bronze in basis copper, but these usually don't have the red colour of copper, but a yellowish or brown coloration.

Can someone help me?

I dont think there is any alloys that are like that really, the best thing I can think of is to take some copper sulfate (root killer) and rub a piece of steel or stainless steel with it to give it the copper color or look into anodizing of aluminum, with anodizing, you can make it any color you want just by mixing the dyes to the color your after.

There are some cuper-nickel alloys that might work for you. Google Cuper-nickel alloys!
    What is that squeaking noise?

I have made Cupro Nickel and it came out silver in color? I think it was 80/20.
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

I would experiment with patination, there are a lot of great chemical treatments that might develop a colour similar to what you are after.
    Check this link out :
    https://www.sciencecompany.com/Patin...nd-Copper.aspx

I second that, the colour possibilities are huge
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Blog Entries
    cae2100's suggestion of using the root killer reminded me that you can use that to copper plate. I do like the idea of anodizing, get any color you want.
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

the best thing I can think of is to take some copper sulfate (root killer) and rub a piece of steel or stainless steel with it to give it the copper color
    The problem of this method is that the result layer of copper over the steel will stay been "stainful", loosing its metallic luster, passed the time.

There are some cuper-nickel alloys that might work for you. Google Cuper-nickel alloys!
    Are copper-nickel alloys stainless?

I would experiment with patination, there are a lot of great chemical treatments that might develop a colour similar to what you are after.
    The problem of patinas is that these doesn't conserve the "metallic luster" that I search. Better said, patinas usually have a "rusted" or mate luster.

or look into anodizing of aluminum, with anodizing, you can make it any color you want just by mixing the dyes to the color your after.
    Aluminium hardly conserve its metallic luster (it oxidizes fastly when solidifies, obtaining a mate luster and loosing its metallic luster), also, reach the correct colour (the colour that you want) is very hard if you haven't the correct system for regulate the voltage.

if you take some wax and go over it, it wont oxidize as bad, and will keep it's luster for quite a long time as long as it has wax on it. cupernickel alloys are what you find in US quarters, nickels, and dimes, so that gives you an idea of what it is like. with a patina'd surface, you can polish it to get a shiny finish, and the anodizing, you dont need really big setup to do it, most people have a drawer of wallwarts somewhere that would give the right voltage and such, then just stick a resistor in series with it to limit the amount of current going to the anodizing tank.

The patina method is defenitely the best that I can think of tho, just use a wax to polish it afterwards and it'll be good to go. Also, nothing is really stainless, not even stainless steel, it's just better at not creating a thick oxide, which stuff spilled on the oxides tend to stain it, if you apply a coat of wax over it or use a polish on it with wax in it, it'll make it as stainless as you can really get tbh.

Being a high percentage of nickel cuper-nickel allows are quite stainless even at elevated temps. That is their forte.

It might help us help you if you gave us a clue as to what you are doing with this alloy.
    What is that squeaking noise?