Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Chaps

Hello Chaps

Hello Chaps

It's been a while since I have posted anything. Been V busy with working for a living for a couple of years, all very exhausting for a while, but the pay was good while it lasted.
    Anyways...
    Following on from this, one of my last posts:

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...highlight=zyto

I threatened to CNC this thing. Well I did. Here is a couple of pics of the contrivance

100_1949-small.jpg

This is an experimental version, it has changed a bit, but you can see some of it's workings.

100_2027-small.jpg

This it in it's current horizontal mode doing a cast angle plate.

It is still a work in progress, the lathe mode is yet to be tried and there will be a 4th rotational axis on the spindle for more 3D ish type stuff when I get around to it.

Seasonal Greetings

MrGreg

welcome back to the forums greg, that thing looks like quite the contraption yet looks like it would work pretty well also. I thought the lathe bed looked similar to an early myford design, and thought thats what it was until I saw the other thread. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Glad to see you back MrGreg.

Pete

Yes, it works well. Has a useable cutting area in horizontal mode for metal of about 170mm x 80mm and a little more for wood and plastic. I have an overhead mode planned and partially constructed such that the Z axis will be on an arm mounted on a cast stand in place of the headstock. This should give me a cutting area of about 240mm x 120mm but prob only ridgid enough for milling plastics, composites, perhaps alu. Prob OK for metal engraving where the cutting load is light.
    The control computer is a Raspberry Pi running Machinekit (aka LinuxCNC) Which works V well (despite what the doubters said about it )
    I'll put a thread together with details and some pics shortly.
    Cheers
    MrGreg

very cool, Im really interested in how you have machinekit set up and wondering if I could get some more pics of the details of the Z axis that you have on your mill?

The Raspberry Pi - Machinekit setup and details are comprehensivly covered here:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=37&t=33809
    It's a mighty long thread though. You might want to read the first couple of pages to get the idea, then work backwards from the end to get details of the current versions. I am actually running am earlier version of a prebuilt image on an RPi v2.

The Z axis ( Vertical Axis ) is a forign copy of the Myford manual vertical axis accessory. You prob know the one I mean as you identified the Zyto bed frame as an early Myford. BTW it is almost the same as an MR2. The Stepper motor - bearing carrier I cast and machined to fit the slide assembly without further modification to the slide assembly.
    I strongly recommend you don't use one of these copies as they are crap! casued me hours of grief and expense correcting all the errors and faults. Go for an original Myford or similar reputable make if you intend to do something of the like.
    I'll dig out some pics when I remember where they are.

Cheers

MrGreg

cool, thanks for the info. I was debating on making a cnc mill for quite a while, mainly to do light duty milling in soft wood and foam. With the raspberry pi setup, that'll help immensely because I have a bunch of those laying around here.

Hi Greg
    My Brain has trouble moving my limbs sometimes let alone setting up something like that. Fair play though
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" War Grade Report

Found a couple of pics:

Photo0039.jpg

A rough & ready lost foam casting(s) one went a bit spiky. This is the stepper & bearing carrier for the leadscrew.

20150824_165539small.jpg

This is the Vertical slide with the completed stepper screw and leadnut in view.

@ Wargrade It took some 2 1/2 yrs to get this far and quite a bit of upskilling and tonacity along the way.

I have started a dedicated thread on this CNC thing here:

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...794#post196794

Prob best to post CNC related replys there.

Cheers

MrGreg