Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking from my love of art

Administrator Site Admin

Speaking from my love of art

I love beautiful things. Especially women and automobiles. When I think about it, they have a lot in common. If one were to conduct a search for the most beautiful things in the world, women would win, hands down. But let us confine our search to man-made things. This would surely be near the top of the list.

It's an Alfa Romeo from 1939. Those Italian carbuilders sure knew their stuff.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

I like Alfa Romeos. I saw one (another model, not as nice as the one in your photo) the other day for the first time in 24 years. We used to have one back in South Africa but they aren't common in America. Wouldn't that be something to own hey?

I always thought sports cars looked like curvy women though my friend says they are designed to look like a phallus - in order to show off. I have my doubts. What do sports cars remind you of?

I had an Alfa 33 cloverleaf back in the 80's, looked goooorgeus back then, not so sure now. A dear friend has a 1936 Vauxhall drophead coupe, from the days when the chassis was shipped to a coachbuilder so a true one off. The lines are not sports car but truly beautiful.

Sexyist car for me E type or F40 or XR4i (I know, odd)

Thanks peedee.... I think my E is one of the sexiest cars ever built too.. Here is another of my favorites. The rear haunches of many great automobiles imitate the hips of the female form.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Hey Jagboy! I had the pleasure of being good friends with the then sales director of Jaguar (obviously after he'd retired) He passed away thi8s year but was a barrel of knowledge on each model and options. RIP Alan Currie.

Now... early Aston Martin DBs anyone?

Can we include a smell into this? Castrol R does funny things to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peedee View Post
    Hey Jagboy! I had the pleasure of being good friends with the then sales director of Jaguar (obviously after he'd retired) He passed away thi8s year but was a barrel of knowledge on each model and options. RIP Alan Currie.

Now... early Aston Martin DBs anyone?
    I missed a db2/4 back in 1993. It was a complete car sitting in a warehouse in Daytona beach. It needed a full restoration, but was not rusty. At the time the car was 7grand. Stupid me decided instead to give my money to embry riddle aeronautical university. I remember the first day at ERAU, they said and I kid you not.... " Welcome to Embry Riddle, the harvard of the skies! " I SHOULD HAVE RUN LIKE HELL FOR THE DOOR and went and bought that Aston. It would have been a much better investment. The 2/4 isn't my favorite body style for Astons.. That would have to be the zagato styled Db4GT. Only seen one in real life.
    db4gt.jpg
    -- Donald Trump --

I have long enjoyed comparing the low front view of a Jag 120 with that of a woman in the same view. The 120 was feminine almost to the point of raunchy in my opinion.1953-Jaguar-XK 120--Car-100743989-46754fd56d40e16d09683ab396adcd28.jpg
    What is that squeaking noise?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfcreek-Steve View Post
    I have long enjoyed comparing the low front view of a Jag 120 with that of a woman in the same view. The 120 was feminine almost to the point of raunchy in my opinion.1953-Jaguar-XK 120--Car-100743989-46754fd56d40e16d09683ab396adcd28.jpg
    I'm with ya on the XK120... I have always loved the profile of the coupe' Prices on these have gone to the moon recently, too much for this guy.
    s_Jaguar XK120 FHC side.jpg
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Thanks peedee.... I think my E is one of the sexiest cars ever built too.. Here is another of my favorites. The rear haunches of many great automobiles imitate the hips of the female form.
    maxresdefault.jpg

I have to agree about the E jags as being one of the all time greats in break thought designs. Most of my life has been surrounded with the automobile with my first car at 16 being a 1930 Model A from there til now my love for the automobile is still there.

I was right out of college and wanted to get an E type but having just signed a teaching contract for the year that was going to pay less then the window sticked for one I had to settle for a nine year older Jag with this 1956 XK140C roadster. I later on got a 1959 XK150 roadster alone with a Mark 7 sedan that I got for parts since both the engine and chassis used many of the same parts as used on these roadsters. I still have the XK140 but never gets driven these days and sold the XK150.

Here's the Mark 7 still have the engine and trans and some miscellaneous parts and scrapped or sold the rest.

I had just finished my Masters and got a summer job working in Detroit at a Hi-Performance engine rebuilding shop during that summer and ran into a guy there with a 1960 1.3L DOC Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider with a blown engine and when he found out he couldn't afford to rebuild it so rather than scrap it I bought it for $50 cash and then redid the motor in the shop after work on my time and got the parts needed though the shop also so my cost was minimal in comparison. At summer's end I got it home and reupholstered the interior and top plus gave it a new paint job. Was missing some exterior trim at the time the picture was taken.

Posed for my Graduate shot. If you ever got a chance to see the movie "The Graduate" with Dustin Hoffman he was driving an Alfa very close to mine only his was a 1967 1.6L Duetto Spider. Had a tape player in it and could be heard playing "Where have you gone Mrs. Robinson." by Simon& Garfunkel plus other songs by them used in the movie. I know most of you here weren't born yet so it's an old fart thing. Simon who?

This is what it should of looked like if I had gotten all the trim before I sold it. (Have to click on it to see)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qQkefQ_4G1w/maxresdefault.jpg

After I got married and no more two seaters with kids and so went with a couple BMW sedans along with a MB 280 SE. Sold the BMWs but still have the MB. My day to day driver now is a Chrysler 300.

I still have 10 vintage cars and trucks that can't be listed in the classic car division but still it's a collection of the regular types people owned and driven at the time in our automotive history.

Back in my youth when I had time I explored different automotive areas like this dune buggy build using a VW sedan chassis. I wrote up a DIY article on the complete process on the build from start to finish as part of grad work. This was made street legal and I drove to work when the weather was good.

My nephew thought was just right for his size at the time.

Last edited by Bob S; 12-13-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    I used to spend my time to save money but now I'm willing to spend my money to save time.