Thread: What do you think of this?

What do you think of this?

Ive been running my g0704 cnc for a little bit now and have been pretty happy with it except for its y axis travel. I made some mods and put a 2" spacer in the column and get 8" on the y now, but thats still not enough for some of the things I would like to do. So While I was day dreaming searching out cnc mill videos and looking at the Charter oaks mill and the tormach thinking that one day...one day...
    I ran across the PM 940 mill http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-940M.html And started searching around a bit. The guy i got my conversion kit from is working on a kit to cnc this mill with double ball nuts and over 14" Y travel. Im about ready to push the button, but would like some more input before I do.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

Nothing???

Sorry, no noting of cnc stuff
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

I have no experience with this mill, but I know people are generally happy with PM products. I also know that you can call them and get Matt the owner on the phone and he will personally answer any questions you have.
    I plan to buy the PM727 but that does not have the travel you need. The Y on that is about 8".
    Your present mill is the equivalent of the PM25. How do you like that in terms of rigidity and motor power? I understand the limits of its travel and the Z axis is probably not enough with a vise and a drill chuck. Also the quill movement is too short.
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Looks like a nice setup for the 4k price. My buddy bought a 1991 HAAS VF1 cnc milling machine last year. He paid 10k, it's as big as a house and needs tons of work and 3phase.
    PM seems to be decent stuff. (chinese no doubt) Where else can ya set up both a mill and lathe for less than 8grand? Now if the wife will let me ditch her black SL, I'll have the space AND the spare cash to add these to my shop!
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

FWIW, I know someone that trying to sell a machine, it's a Hitachi Seiko horizontal CNC mill, like the machine jagboy referred to this machine is also HUGE. The machine is located in Hamilton Ontario, if you know anyone that might be interested, let me know and I'll pass on the contact info.

DavidF: apologies for hijacking your thread.
    Last edited by rocco; 12-11-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Unfortunately I don't have the room for a full sized VMC like the Haas. I also don't have 3 phase power. And moving one would require one big ass truck, riggers, and some way to get it in my shop once delivered.
    The PM 940 (or something similar) I can handle.
    The g0704 is a pretty nice machine and has decent power but does lack rigidity. It limited to 3/8" end mills max IMHO.
    Wife Just found out im looking at a bigger mill to cnc and said I had better take the dog for a walk......Sound like a yes to me

A Haas toolroom mill (TM-1?) is another viable option, except for the 3-phase power. It's not that much bigger than a bridgeport... maybe a little bigger... but much smaller than any vertical or horizontal. Has a toolchanger as well. We have one at work and we get some good use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by alcufe View Post
    A Haas toolroom mill (TM-1?) is another viable option, except for the 3-phase power. It's not that much bigger than a bridgeport... maybe a little bigger... but much smaller than any vertical or horizontal. Has a toolchanger as well. We have one at work and we get some good use out of it.
    My ceiling height is 84"......I would have to look at the height of the TM-1, but betting its taller....