Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unicorns & Green Bay

Good job cactus. Just like Christmas, you never know what you will get!
    If you think you can't do it, you're right!

Good info Rasper. I'd like to get as close to mirror as I can but am under a time constraint now and really just want to get the smudges off. The tail and mane I'm happy with as I want it to be a different texture from the body. But I think you're right about the compound worked into the fine scratches now. Same for the face and back of the G. The edges of the G will get a couple coats of enamel. Is Emery a brand name or a grade? Guessing I'd need a clean stitched wheel for it too. Sounds like scotchbrite was not the way to go but sure was easy on an air angle tool. Have sandpaper up to 600 as well as the lower grits. Wondering how far I'll need to back up.
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Administrator Site Admin
    Wondering how far I'll need to back up.
    Far enough back to get the smudges out.

Emery is the generic name for the abrasive. It's usually black. It works well on aluminum on a hard sewn wheel One that has the spiral stitches about 3/8 of an inch apart. You can really bear down on it and the wheel stays firm.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Only place I could find nearby with emery on the shelf is here.
    http://www.truevalue.com/thumbnail/H...5/c/73/650.uts
    Would you recommend rouge or white for the loose wheel on AL? I also forgot I have very fine glass beads (sieve 170-325) in my blasting cabinet which might get the smudges and can start sanding from there.

Administrator Site Admin
    Get the white. The red is too fine for your purposes, and the tripoli is best for brass, not aluminum.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Will do. Thanks.

I've found that not all buffing compound are created equally. I've used the cheap sticks and now use Eastwood compounds exclusively.
    For polishing, I stop at 400 grit and leave the rest to the buffing wheel.
    Bones

Got the emery & white compounds and a couple new buff wheels. Started with v-fine bead blast on all pieces but masked the unicorn tail, mane & horn. Then moved on with the Green Bay logo since it was mostly flat and easy to get at to see how the process would work. After the blasting I went back to 120 grit, up to 600. Then the emery on stitched wheel and white compound on loose buff. Not calling it mirror but dang shiny to me. Got the enamel on and rigged up the fishing line. Here it is.

http://vid1379.photobucket.com/album...psy7cdnlqx.mp4

On to the unicorn. Not a bad look just from the blasting.

So I took the masking off and you know what? I really liked the look as is. Kept looking at it from different angles and lighting and decided to go with it. Next batch I'll polish one up but I think this looks more real in a way like a velvety coat with some shine on the hair and horn. Here's what I'm talking about.

Then finished up some bronze trivets I cast a few months back and called my gift making done just in the St. Nick of time.

Those look great! I love the way the unicorn looks, too. Polished is cool, but that looks more like an actual hair-covered animal.

Yeah, the unicorn came out really nice! Trivets too.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos