Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unicorns & Green Bay

Unicorns & Green Bay

Had a busy weekend on this and figured I'd start a new thread as its not going as planned. Maybe admin can move my first post over here from "What did you do..." Anyway, got the first unicorns filleted with toilet ring wax.

Whipped up the Green Bay Packers logo foamies. The left is right off the hot wire and the middle is hand sanded with 100 grit to get the high spots then 180 for finish.

Mudded them all up.

Rethought the unicorn foamies. Adding slugs on the feet, tail and horn to help fill.

First casting of 3 foamies not so good for unicorns and oval.

Cut the sprue off the other 2 unicorns and replaced individually with white foam in 2 postures. Added runners to the oval and added a second "G".

Still short on the unicorns.

I have 2 unicorn foamies left so think I need to feed the tail, legs and horn directly with some extra runners and stick with the horizontal posture, though the bottom side leaked somewhere. Any other suggestions are welcome. Also contemplating a plan B. My grand niece also likes dolphins which would be easier to cast. But I'd really like to get one of these unicorns right. On the Packers logo the plan is to polish the face and back of both pieces and paint the edge of the "G" green and the oval yellow. Then drill a small hole and suspend the G in the oval with fishing line like a mobile.
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Administrator Site Admin
    Maybe admin can move my first post over here from "What did you do..."
    Just copy the post over there and paste it in a new post here.

I have been telling people for several years now to stop posting your projects in the "What Did You Do ..." thread. After a day or two they are lost and essentially gone forever from the eyes of the readers.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Very sorry. Didn't plan for it to go on originally. Red text noted.

Worked on a new set of templates and foamies over the weekend. Hope I'm not being too ambitious. Need a little more sanding then fillet the corners and bad spots then sprues and coating. With my template method its just as easy to make several at a time in case of fails along the way. Still thinking about how I'm going to feed this. Planning to sand/grind the horn to shape after casting but made it oversized to help fill. Mainly concerned with filling the tail.

http://

Bret Favre is rolling in his grave....
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

He died? I thought he just retired and made Wranglers commercials...
    "Success is 99% determination"

He's far from dead, was in GB a month ago.
    What is that squeaking noise?

CD can you not hang the unicorn off the side of the sprue, just as you have it prancing in the photo (upside down of course).
    first the back feet against the sprue, then the belly, then up between the legs to the horn
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Hi Cactusdreams,
    I would suggest you use a taller sprew to give greater "hydrostatic" pressure in the liquid metal to force it to the extremities of your pattern. Also pour fast!
    Hope this helps.
    Peter.

Could try a taller sprue.

Could also try giving the legs their own runners off the sprue, that way they get a better fill and aren't as likely to shrink cavity the main body.
    The only difference between being a genius and being insane is being right.

My Oil Burner

Want a site of your own to document your foundry adventure?

Thanks all for the suggestions. You're all pointing to where I think I'm going. Feed the extremities directly and bury it a little deeper. I kept the riser full as I was pouring so can't go any faster. But it would sit for a moment then burp and drop a couple times, not one continuous draw down the sprue. Poured on the hot side, around 1450ºF.