Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A small simple bullet sizing press

A small simple bullet sizing press

I cast my own bullets and recently got into powder coating them.
    The nice thing about this is the bullet does not need any lube applied,
    as a regular cast bullet would.
    Sizing is still important though. Lee makes a small press and bullet sizing dies that are easy to use,
    but the die goes in the top, and the bullets get pushed up from the bottom. Collecting them can be a challenge.
    I took the idea of their press, but inverted it, making the push through die, screw up from the bottom,
    and the ram will push down, dropping the bullet into the collection bin of your choice.
    This not finished as of yet, but I did prove out the patterns today and made the initial casting
    which came out perfect. First time I tried an elaborate gating system, and now I am hooked.

The sides of the press body

The ram boss form and layered sides

Glued up

working section cut out and base added

split pattern

Drag half of the casting

Cope side of the casting

I obviously went over board on the shrinkbobs, but being inexperience, I wanted to make sure there was enough pressure
    to push the metal up into the cope and get fill out.
    I am very pleased with this casting as there are no low spots or shrinkage anywhere.

I'll post more photos as I get it further along & BTW, the press body is 6 inches top to bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator Site Admin
    Excellent. That makes me want to pour some aluminum. I never have. Probably never will. I am so busy with my bronze sculpture.

I was an avid shooter and reloader when I was in high school. That was back in 1959 - 1961. I'm a Southerner. Almost every house had a gun rack on the wall back then. No one thought about locking them up. Kids weren't nut cases then, (or if they were they didn't shoot people).

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Real nice casting that
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Nice work. You got me hooked from the pattern making. Very nice.
    I found that trying to find what I need and then make it work with what I have, is more trouble than designing what I want and doing it.
    me

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."
    Sophocles

Quote Originally Posted by _3D_ View Post
    Nice work. You got me hooked from the pattern making. Very nice.
    I'm not so sure if i like the casting or the pattern making more.
    Anyone else have that problem?

Administrator Site Admin
    Yes. I love molding my sculptures in modeling clay. Making the rubber molds and then casting the wax is fun too, but the rest of it is just work to me. I would teach someone else do the work in the foundry if I could find someone with enough interest to stick with it. Metal casting sounds like a great idea, but great ideas are kind of like ass holes―everybody has one. What's mostly missing in almost everyone is the determination to keep going when the idea doesn't seem to be so great anymore.

Richard
    Last edited by Rasper; 11-21-2016 at 12:52 AM.
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    Tell me about it. I can make patterns for hours and don't get bored. Thankfully i have enough projects to keep me busy for a while.
    I found that trying to find what I need and then make it work with what I have, is more trouble than designing what I want and doing it.
    me

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."
    Sophocles

Very nice work. It seems the Home Depot cement mixing tub is ubiquitous in backyard casting. Please keep us posted on the finished product.
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

I finally got around to finishing this project up the last few days.
    Lower back injury had me down for 3 months, then ice dams on the house caused some major
    damage that needed repaired.
    Anyway, I wrapped this thing up today after casting the handle this morning.
    Very pleased with the results!

Zombie green powder coat, becasue that is what was in the PC gun lol

That's just about the most awesome thing I've seen today!! Thanks for sharing!
    "Success is 99% determination"