Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAVSUP Plaque

NAVSUP Plaque

I got a request for a new Plaque, I ran into a tight space problem, I normally hand carve all my plaques, but once I got this sized, I realized there was no way I could possible get all the lettering required on the plaque using the traditional pattern making techniques I normally use, and the price of letters at $1.73 each would have been way to high for what I expect to be a slow mover. So I contacted Foundryjoe and his Wife at Village impressions and had them whip me up a rubber pattern from the artwork I was provided, this is a technique I knew of but have never used, so I will share here

After sending off the artwork I received the rubber pattern in less then a week , I have placed it with the aluminum pattern I created with intentions of hand lettering, the problem of course is that I needed the finished product to be 6 inches long and there was no way I could get all that text onto a six inch pattern

I glued the rubber pattern to a piece of 3/16 poplar to get it up to a castable thickness, I glued it using 3M GP 45 spray glue, the same stuff I use to put disks on the disk sander, but rubber cement would have been fine, just weigh it all down well with a couple of brass ingots overnight

I was surprised the rubber sanded away well better then I expected no reason to use any special procedures here

Here you can see the matchplate all put together, as always I forgot to hand sand the sprue well... big point I did NOT use any paint or sealer over the pattern, not sure what would have worked with the rubber so I left it alone, and just brushed it down with powdered graphite, and very carefully steel wooled the wax fillets around the perimeter of the pattern and the gating system

The first of three molds, the only pulls I had where at the perimeter of the pattern and the gating system, the perimeter of the pattern was probably cause by A little bit of loose rubber, since I'm only using the rubber to make the aluminum master patterns I can easily clean that up

Here are the three I cast. two in aluminum for the master pattern and one for the customer as a prototype

And here is the final product,

This is definitely a great technique for something with tons of text or something that is strictly two dimensional. I highly recommend any of you working on a project like this get with Village impressions and Foundryjoe you will be very happy

V/r HT1

Good info and work. Looks like it solved the problem well. How did you vent this? Does the rubber distort at all from the ramming? Maybe try a piece you cut off to see how it takes paint.
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Cool work that HT
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Very nice look!
    R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by cactusdreams View Post
    Good info and work. Looks like it solved the problem well. How did you vent this? Does the rubber distort at all from the ramming? Maybe try a piece you cut off to see how it takes paint.
    I use petrobond so venting is not required, if I had been using green sand I would have measured and pushed a 1/8 brass rod into the cope in about 6 places just shy of the surface of the casting in the mold. remember vents just create a path of least resistance, lines from the edge of the plaque to the flasks probably would have been fine also.

the rubber does not seem to distort in any appreciable amount, but it is very thin

I tried it out some scrap with some green krylon and it seemed to take at least a light coat without any concerns, I dont have any sandable primer which is my favorite coating for patterns

V/r HT1

How is the rubber pattern made? Are there any benefits or disadvantages to this method over a cnc wood pattern?
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

How it is made

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    How is the rubber pattern made? Are there any benefits or disadvantages to this method over a cnc wood pattern?

Here is a thread on how the pattern is made.

CNC is great if you have access to it...

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...l=1#post140885

Foundry Joe

The plaque looks great. I've always thought these would be fun to do for all sorts of things.

I have checked with printers and supply shops, Foundry Joe's prices are good and his rubber is thicker than is used for most printing. Making it much better for a casting pattern. I just wish I could come up with some good plaques that I could sell and make some money.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    down.. the pattern is strictly 2D

Plus... absolutely the best way to get text in any font you want, and much small then practical with CMC

Overall, normally I would only consider this as a measure to combine with other techniques, but for tiny text this is a perfect way to go

ALSO it is a lot less technical on your end, all you need is a plain black and white picture(not greyscale) exactly to scale, and you get exactly what you send so unlike CNC you do not have to be a serious computer geek trying to muster your way through Blender... I comparison shopped with shapeway, and FOUNDRYJOE was right at the same price point, but my time savings was hugh. if you have a CNC machine or a digital printer and can use it well, then use that route, but if you are thinking about I need to cast this project NOW, for time and price, the rubber pattern is hands down the winner

V/r HT1

I'm really glad to see this. I was going to attempt this with foundry joe, but decided to kill the project before we made any patterns. I'm sure it will come in handy for me later.
    What is that squeaking noise?