Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wargrade report:

Thanks, I'm getting far more happy with my work, it's just making sure I remember all the steps I need when making things!
    But as I'm about to show, getting there.
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Quote Originally Posted by wargrade View Post
    Thanks, I'm getting far more happy with my work, it's just making sure I remember all the steps I need when making things!
    But as I'm about to show, getting there.
    I can't tell you how many times I've poured a lost foam mold and forgot to jiggle the can of sand before pouring. I really ought to make myself a check list, but this one thing seems to be the only thing I consistently forget to do.

By the way, I was reading your post and it looks like you were having some challenges with changing viscosity of oil. I have had great success using coffee urn to preheat my oil. Here in the US you can buy them with one to two gallon capacity. I got mine at a garage sale for like $0.50. You just replace the tap at the bottom with a fitting and Plum a flexible piece of tubing to take the oil to your oil feed line. If you search my posts for my furnace build thread you can probably get some good photos of my oil preheating setup. When I initially built the furnace I did not have one because my babington style burner unit had an oil preheater feature to it. When I got away from babington I went to a recirculating burner of my own design I had to do something to preheat the oil and came up with the idea of using a coffee urn.

OK All, I finally am happy to show you one of my on going projects that I have been working on.
    I wanted to get to a point where I was getting constant results, keeping at it my self & forcing myself to resolve issues.

In the Kent (county of here in the UK) old villages have the Invicta crest on the sign posts on the roads in to each village.
    This one from a nearby village:

Many of these have gone missing, been damaged or stolen. no longer available from Kent count council, I decided to try and fill a gap in the market.

I will start with how I started.
    I managed to acquire one of these, in fact coming from my own village, the sign getting knocked over by a car. The local council simply through the whole lot in the hedge & replaced it with one of those horrid modern reflective road signs. This was what got me thinking.
    Repairing the original plaque I then proceeded to mount it on to a match bouard as I knew I wanted to make these as easy to reproduce as possible.
    Here it is (with another plaque I had been working on), it's bonded on to the solid ex kitchen worktop, then body filler applied to the edges.

This was then sanded and painted. (the already replied part you can see having already been painted).

On that note I have been asked before what I paint my patens with, I use car paint, premixed metallic base coat, this is leftover stuff from a mates body shop. I find the metalic seems to work much better and a solid base coat (no idea why), I apply this direct to whatever the pattern is made of, being thin I don't need to cover a whole pattern if repairs & it soaks in to wood nicely & seales it. Originally I used to lacquer it too, but have found it really is not needed.

Test one with poor hand cut gates (proved the pattern though):

This first one suffered a cold shund on it's extremity:

Here are attempt # 1,2 then 3,4, each one modyfiying the gating system so as to a) make better plaque & then a useable mounting:

#5:

Here is the back of #6

The final version (thus far) #7

Experamental flat only version:

Last edited by wargrade; 01-01-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .

Getting good results Wargrade, ask your mate if he has any spray putty, it's excellent for first coating patterns and grain filling.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

Thanks Donk, I will try that

Wow, good hedge-score, that turned out really nice! Great work.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Thanks Jeff, it's been an enjoyable learning curve thus far.
    First ones go on ebay tonight with luck

Ping me a link if you put them on ebay wargrade, not going to buy one but interesting to watch.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

Here's a better photo of the finished part for the Centrix wood leathe.

Donk ebay