Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiny foundry ( 3D printed models involved )

adamflyer, I am happy to see others using 3D printed parts in casting process. I print only in PLA, have no luck with ABS at all because of edges warping. Got to think about making a transparent box for my Prusa i3 to stabilize the temperature around the printing area. I've printed 6 sets of models for casting those end caps. Very first was covered with a thin layer of super glue and sand after dried. I have only sand the rest of my models, without applying super glue, but printed layers are visible in castings made out of those. Next models I will use will be covered with some spray paint after rough sanding - that's what might work a lot better.

Glad You all like it

Hoothate, welcome
    you doing a great job there.
    a change to your gate anx your away, how about putting in a central sprue?
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Banned
    MONA TILES COMPOUND, NR. CHHANI CIRCLE, CHHANI ROAD, VADODARA - 390002. GUJARAT, INDIA.
    in 3d printing SLA technology is the best for casting and finishing purpose.

Blog Entries
    Really nice castings. You even picked up the 3d printer surface texture. That Petrobond makes for a nice finish.
    Mark

I have used my 3d prints in PLA or ABS directly off the printer with petro bond sand using baby powder for parting dust and have good luck with it. I have experienced the sand sticking a couple of times on areas where the draft is almost straight up but it works better than I initially thought it would

I found using PLA models as investment casts has worked well, although time consuming to burnout and like to leave some deposits in the mold that you need to blow out very well.

Im currently working on 3d printing patterns for a RC Dump truck bed and I will be putting primer and paint on these to smooth out the surfaces because it has a minimal amount of draft.

Your finished product looks great! keep at it man