I have found out this forum a few days ago and thought I'd share my experience with You in the meantime while reading tons of great stuff here.
I built my furnace about two years ago already but since then have not so many projects that I worked on sadly.
My grandfather run a local small iron foundry years ago and even though I was too little to ask and learn, but somehow he get me inspired to try it myself... on a smaller scale ofcourse. So here I am.
Now, a little bit about what I've done lately.
This is a project going on my mind for a long time. As an owner and forum member of XTZ750 Yamaha model I found out that some of the parts are really hard to get or available for sick prices.
Thought that I can try to make my own, better parts - mostly to help the others, but would be nice to get back my invest in propane gas and atleast smaller part of time spent on it. ( I may fail here but will see )
One of the parts are chain pullers fixed to the end of swingarm. Most of them crack in half ( while adjusting chain without loosing nuts ) and are almost impossible to get from second hand.
Designed new thicker pullers and casted them last saturday :
Half of the flask is done ( 3D printed model inserted, each model is divided )
Molten aluminium is the poured into the mold
Went out pretty good ( I need to get a strainer for my casting sand as it is not as fine around the model as I wish it would be)
Castings after cutting out sprues, grinding and polishing. Didn't like that look so I brushed it later on.
What I've learnt here is that a drill press is a must, holes turn out to be not in the centre.
Here is an assembled cap :
More to come soon.