Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Build Foundry

I just got some castable refractory from castreekilns.co.uk - Spoke to the rep on the phone. One 25kg bag will make a little over 10 litres

Public school math here so cut me some slack....

2130KG/M3 so roughly >>>>>>>> A 3ftx3ftx3ft SOLID BLOCK would weigh around 4700lbs?????
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Public school math here so cut me some slack....2130KG/M3 so roughly >>>>>>>> A 3ftx3ftx3ft SOLID BLOCK would weigh around 4700lbs?????
    Yes, you've got it. Dense castable refractory is about the same density of concrete (usually a bit more) which is typically 2400kg/m3 or 4050 lb/Cubic yard. Insulating castables are usually about half that density.

Best,
    K

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    This may not help you much, But I will tell you 1 bag DOES NOT go very far. It's by far the worlds most expensive "concrete" !!!
    If in doubt, buy a 2nd bag, you'll want it to make plinths and for patching up later.
    (sticking a location on you profile helps us....example, if you are in Austin, TX, I'd tell you about a local shop that sells it so no shipping woes)

I live in Houston and make it out to Austin once in awhile, could use that information.

The bag is no way 2130Kg thats 2.130 tone about the weight of a big double cab pickup! (European/Japanese)
    I used castree and I'm sure it comes in 25Kg bags!!! SOoooooooo I'd say 21.3Kg is more the figure there talking about.
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Kville is probably gone.. but here it is anyways. Sorry just saw your question.
    http://www.armadilloclay.com/
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Blog Entries
    2130kg per cubic meter. That is about right. That is how the industrial suppliers indicate density. Industrial applications also buy the stuff in those large quantities. That would mean your 25kg bag can fill about 11 liters of space.
    Mark

Has anybody ever tried using a coffee mug as a crucible? Hey you never know...

I'd feel much safer drinking coffee out of a crucible... My #12 SiC would probably just about do the trick on a morning like this, actually!

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos