Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocketry: Always assume it will explode!

And the birds are just acting like it ain't nuthin.

For anyone into pyro it's perfectly obvious it needed a longer stick and better ramming of the black powder to avoid the cracks in the fuel grain....

lol, facebook sponsored the sattelite, evidently they wanted to plaster facebook fail ads all over everything in the middle east too. Im kinda supprised they didnt have a giant thumbs up logo painted on the side of the shuttle also saying "Like this" (thumbs up emoji), BOOM, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein View Post
    There was a flurry of twitter...Goes to show just how much energy it takes to launch one of these craft, and what can happen when that energy is released by a means uncontrolled...
    Hmmm, maybe the birds did it

A large proportion of that energy is required simply to lift the weight of the fuel itself. Also, that same amount of energy must also be dealt with on re-entry as heat to slow everything back down. Divided between all the separate parts of course.

Facebook/spaceX lost more money from that incident than they would have ever gained from ads. Anyone wonder why your rocket-insurance premimums keep going up?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

From all the black smoke it looks like their carbon foot print just went up. Global warming here we come, maybe we wont have any winter this year.

Blog Entries
    <Schadenfreude>
    I think my favorite bit is at 1:20 when the Facebook satellite ended it's relationship with Space X and plunged to it own spectacular demise.
    </Schadenfreude>

Mark

I'm reminiscing a bit. Einstein's title and the video take me back to a teachable moment with my two sons 20 years ago when they were about 6 and 9. We went to the hobby shop and bought some Estes rockets. Launcher, rockets, motors. We built them, sanded and glued, painted. Decorated with the decals, etc. My little guy's went up first and was flawless. We were thrilled. Then we launched Ben's. We did the countdown, Ben turned the key, and up it went. Unfortunately it came down from the sky in flames. I'll never forget the look of disappointment and the welled up eyes as he presented the charred husk to me. I explained to him what we had done: "put rocket fuel into a cardboard tube and lit it on fire. Sometimes it won't go well." Fortunately we had a third rocket with us that day so it at least pacified his feelings and we had a successful afternoon, but they both learned something that day that may be part of what they are today. We had a lot of fun with those rockets over the next couple of years and a number of failures, but when we pushed the button everyone was clear on the implications. Ben is a scientist today working in medicine.

Pete

Nice story Pete and so very true in so many ways. I know I've bought a lot of failures as a child with me through life (or as my wife calls it 'pesamistic bastard! I call it realistic but hey.

You must be proud of your son.

What do space X (or anybody) use to fuel these things? Is it liquid O2 and kero of some type? I should do some reading.

Blog Entries
    Yep. LOX plus RP-1 which is kerosene.
    Mark

just knowing what happens when gaseous o2 is exposed to petroleum makes me kinda quiver a bit when I think of a violent sudden mixing of lox and kerosene.
    But do not ask the price I paid, I must live with my quiet rage,
    Tame the ghosts in my head, That run wild and wish me dead.
    Should you shake my ash to the wind Lord, forget all of my sins
    Oh, let me die where I lie, Neath the curse of my lover's eyes.