Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rocketry: Always assume it will explode!

Anyone ever read that book Ignition! ?

Here it is:
    http://library.sciencemadness.org/li...s/ignition.pdf
    Best book on the development of liquid fueled rockets ever!

einstein, nice to see you're around and kickin'
    Chem enthusiasts out there? Check out http://sciencemadness.org !

Mars, seriously? Mars?
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Mars, seriously? Mars?
    I think he might have been in the partial pressure chamber a bit too long and was starting to hallucinate when he thought up that plan of his.

Pretty sure the US Space shuttle still holds the record for the largest crew flown in a single flight, with seating for 7.

To fly upwards of 120 people in a single launch, that rocket is going to be orders of magnitude larger than anything we've ever built or flown before. He's looking at easily 2-3 decades of serious development just to be able to put that many people into orbit reliably, let alone go anywhere. When you consider the consumable tonnage required to support that many people over a mars journey, we're talking about a ship on the scale of those seen in Star Trek - Voyager NCC-74656 had a designed crew capacity of 200 and worked around the crew consumables issue by abusing the ship's power grid to create whatever they needed.

But this isn't Star Trek, we're at least another 40 years away from warp drive, and the scale of these gigantic craft that Elon is dreaming up are going to take a lot of engineering and testing to achieve if it is even possible for our technology to do it.
    The only difference between being a genius and being insane is being right.

My Oil Burner

Want a site of your own to document your foundry adventure?

A craft of that magnitude will shove our rock out of its orbit when it leaves mother earth.
    What is that squeaking noise?

Build the components on Earth, assemble and populate it in space.

Pete

40? 400 would be ambitious in my opinion for warp drive if it is even possible.

What we need is a space elevator to ferry materials up to orbit and construct massive ships in space. Rocket tech is baby steps.

I would guess within the next 40 years we will have developed enough in the nanomaterials field to make continuous carbon fiber tubes long enough and strong enough to make the elevator possible.

If they can get the beast into orbit and outfitted/built there with multiple launches, Mars will be easy. It takes far more deltav to get into orbit than to get from orbit to mars. The higher the orbit the better, then escaping earth will be even easier.

According to this chart:

The amount of delta v it takes to get into low earth orbit (space station level) from the ground is almost the same as it takes to get from low earth orbit to the surface of mars.

People thought he was insane when he said he was going to turn the rocket around, bring it back, and land it at the launch site. That happened more than a couple times now. Sure lots of them blew up, but how many people sailing across the Atlantic ended up sleeping with the fishes? Oceanic journeys resulted in better ships. It's only a matter of time before we get much better rockets.

I have never seen a chart like that. That is really cool and a great way to analyze it.
    Thanks
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Posts like this actually give me HOPE for the human race..

I guess the Googly-map needs to extend a bit further if I'm going to include you geniuses much longer.

NASA still hasn't come to see me about slingshot methods of deployment....Darn....
    "If you work with your hands, you’re a laborer.
    If you work with your hands and your mind, you’re a craftsman.
    If you work with your hands and your mind and your heart, you’re an artist."

Saint Francis of Assisi

Google Map of members:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...hs&usp=sharing

Slingshots are fun, but why use a slingshot when you can use a CANNON! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_gun

"Good day, future astronauts. You will be launched into space using out new experimental gigantic cannon. Any questions?"

astronaut: "Yeah, why not just kill us right now and save us all some time?"