Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Eagle Statue

Here is another small update. I detailed the edges of the wings. Smoothed the neck a bit and bulked up the wings slightly. I also slimmed down the tips of the wings at the bottom.

I am getting to the point where I will start carving in the feet and adding the textured feathers. Still more general shaping to do before I add the details.

Far right picture has the most up to date bird.

Zap... What do you do for molds once you're done with the wax work? Materials? methods??
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Usually I use RTV silicone rubber and make a block mold which I then cut open and pour wax into for more copies.

I think I'm going to try mantrid's multipart mold system using fiberglass backing for this bird. It will be a bit of a learning process. I will be sure to post. I'm hoping I can get the bird finished in the next 3 weeks or so but that might be a bit ambitious.

I'm sitting on some rebound 25 that is collecting dust. Shore is only 25. Not much info on the web about it, but it HAS to be backed up with a mothermold. It's pretty soft, but they say it's amazing for capturing details and even tolerates undercuts well due to it's flexibility. Been flying a lot and getting back to my box now. I'm working on the legs and will DEFINITELY need some help figuring out the best way to mold the feet onto this thing. Mantrid is the mold guru, but WHERE HAS HE GONE TO???

Now I'm new at this, but been studying pretty hard... I see your bird being done in halves. Front/back half or left/right sides... Dammed up with oil based clay along the line you want to part. Here is a video I found to help get the brain juices flowing.

WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --

Nice work Zap.
    I think his head needs tilted down...he's looking kind of docile.
    Eagles are majestic
    Bones

I dont know, hate to be the odd guy but with its head tilted more it looks as if confused about something... Maybe put a fish in its talons and have it ripping its guts out now that would be cool....
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

I thought it had a human, inquisitive look.
    Eagles look down at their prey...:-)
    Bones

Perfect! I was going for the confused/inquisitive look. I wanted it to look at you in that bird way that they do when they aren't sure what to make of you. They cock their head sideways and have a good stare from a different angle to see if that makes things more clear.

Plenty of time to make other poses once I have the first mold done. I can easily cut apart a copy and make modifications to the pose (like eating animals & flying). Just need the first one to be correct with the right body proportions and feathering. Otherwise I'll have to remake the entire thing from scratch with each pose.

Thanks for the video jag. I was planning to do something like that with a fiberglass backing. Not sure how many parts I need yet. Probably just 2 will be enough since it is a fairly simple shape, but maybe a 3rd for around the foot area if there ends up being a lot of detail there.

Another issue is that I need to find a decent silicone thickener. I prefer to buy from ebay or amazon rather than some seedy 3rd party website. But I suppose beggars can't be choosers so I'll have to go with whatever is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
    Perfect! I was going for the confused/inquisitive look.
    I think you nailed it then.
    Bones

Thivex I think is the stuff smooth on sold me as a thickening agent. YOU DONT NEED MUCH OF IT from what I'm told. Like a couple of drops ONLY. I might have the spelling wrong.

My dog cocks his head at me when he is trying to understand something. Birds do it too. This eagle is definitely checking SOMETHING out!
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --