Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle Statue

The tool is a bernzomatic solderer. More specifically a "ST500T Auto Ignite Butane Torch" that I got from home depot. I use it for final polishing just before molding or coating with ceramic shell. I just used a plumber's torch (seen lying on its side in the photos) to polish the body in the photos above.

I got some legs on it today.

I also made a lot of wax rods and sheets so I can quickly start adding features.

Looks good! Now how do you make the wax sheets and is that what you use to cover the body with?

Quote Originally Posted by So. Addison View Post
    Looks good! Now how do you make the wax sheets and is that what you use to cover the body with?
    Run another youtube video on this process PLEASE!!! and tell us a funny joke while your at it. Bird is looking awesome!
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Will do! I'll try get it done tomorrow. Anything else you want me to make a video of? Just let me know!

You might run the camera each time you do a new part of the sculpting art we haven't seen. I really appreciate your taking the time to show us how it's done.

I was thinking about that So. Addison, but it takes up an enormous amount of space on my phone's SD card. The following 9 minute video was 1.5 GB. I could probably reduce the quality of the video and get a better save rate, though when I work on the bird I usually just watch videos on youtube and go for hours and hours until I get tired of it so the file is likely to be huge anyway. Not sure that anyone would want to watch that? Alternatively I might be able to film for a few minutes every hour or so and put together a video of the bird coming together that way. Honestly it isn't any trouble for me to make the videos, it only takes a few minutes.

Here is a little "how to" video on making wax sheets. I figured talking detracted from my previous instructional videos so I didn't say anything in those, but I suppose black and white silent films went out of style for a reason so talk this time I did.

OUTSTANDING! Stellar job! Now I have a practical purpose for some PoP I have sitting in the garage. Thanks a ton for showing us that and great tutorial.

That jewelry box is beautiful, do not let my wife see it!
    -- Donald Trump --

Thank you, Your explaination makes the video flow better and covers the subject so there are no misunderstandings. A+++ As for recording the eagle project if you just hit on the changes in technique it would be most helpful. I don't know how you fit us into your busy life but thank you again, S. A.

Well it has been a couple months since I worked on the statue, but I picked it up yesterday. I've been mysteriously productive on my metal casting projects ever since my gaming laptop broke last week... Probably just a coincidence...

Anyhoo, what I've done is change the pose. I am going to go with the more dignified perching pose rather than the swooping catching & cliche pose I was originally going to do.

My girlfriend suggested I mound it directly to the wall, so the branch it will be sitting on comes out of the wall and it stares down at you. I think that is a pretty interesting idea.

I finished the general details on the left side of the head. Some ruffled feathers.

I think I'm going to angle the head so it looks down more. It is currently looking way too far up which I think is an unnatural position for their heads to be in. They never look up at you, they always look down on you. That position will work better if I mount it high up near the ceiling inside our house. So it peers at you out of reach like the little sky-cat that it is.

Last edited by Zapins; 01-06-2017 at 04:13 AM.

Sounds kind of alfred hitchcock like to me. I like the idea over the swoop and snag a fish. Youre right, that is a bit cliche. Ive been watching less tv, more youtube and cleaned up the workbench. Motivation can be a pain to find sometimes. Take it when you can get it, thats for sure.
    Jason
    -- Donald Trump --