Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle Statue

The post on the bottom will be part of the shoulder of the bird's body. I will keep adding more wax and build up the body slowly. But that is how you'd add a sprue. Though with a sprue you want to use a pin tool, heat it up and effectively poke it deep between each edge where it joins the main piece to ensure the wax has melted together all the way to the center of the rod. You need a good bond with sprues to ensure they don't break off when coating your piece, when building a sculpture it is less important since there is more wax involved and the wax isn't really supporting a lot of weight.

Glad you found it helpful Addison, now let's see your creations!

Also, I've found that square rod used for sprues seems to crack more than round sprues. Not sure why this is. A bronze foundry once told me that square spruing is better for bronze because it reduces the spiraling turbulence you get with round rod. Given that I am not sure what they are doing to keep their molds together better than mine but there it is. Perhaps I'll make the main pouring sprue round and the little bottom feeders that directly touch the part square. Square feeders do seem to give a better finished piece with fewer defects.

Did a bit more work on the eagle today. Started making the general body shape. I think I'm going to have to braze up a wire frame for the thing, it probably won't support its own weight with the wings attached.

Also I think I like this body pose, coming in for a swoop & grab. It will be difficult to mold but hopefully it will all come together at some point.

WOW! I would have to cast that in 5 or 6 pieces and then try to braze them together. It looks more complicated than the Manhatten project. Keep up the good work.

He's looking awesome man! How will he be displayed? A stick up the south end attached to a base?
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Oh man, that is far away. I might attach a bronze rod to the tail feathers and have it attach onto a base at a 45 degree angle.

This thing is going to be huge when completed. I'm thinking 3 feet wing tip to tip. Not sure how feasible this is going to be, but we will see...

That thing will take your hand off...
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

How about attaching his talons to the back of a fish that is partially lifted out of the water. (all done in bronze, of course)
    What is that squeaking noise?

Haha my hand! Not yet! Though I've had quite a few wax & flame burns on this project.

I will have to look into the fish part of it. It will be an imperial eagle (German Eagle) and I do not know if they hunt fish or not. Probably but I'll have to do some digging and see. These eagles have really interesting feather patterns that I'll be adding.

Here is what I've done since yesterday:

I'm trying to show things sequentially and from the same angle each time to give you an idea of how I'm doing it.

He's starting to flesh out, looks good.

Yes, the bird is looking good! I think you have mentioned it before but what is that little hand held torch thingy you smooth out the wax with in the video?
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.