Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle Statue

Eagle Statue

I decided to make an eagle statue. Probably about half life size when finished. Not sure what pose I'll put the body in, I'm winging it (har har) as I go. Here is what I did in the last 3 or 4 hours in order from beginning to most recent at the end. Stay tuned!

WOW that looks cool, but he looks a bit head strong!
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Looks great! Could you explain your steps in the pictures? It looks like you have added wax to the neck area in the lower pic, how is that done?

Blog Entries
    That looks really good. I have never been able to sculpt well, I'm quite envious!

I feel another youtube tutorial video coming along. I'll see what I can do tonight to show you.

Quote Originally Posted by So. Addison View Post
    Looks great! Could you explain your steps in the pictures? It looks like you have added wax to the neck area in the lower pic, how is that done?
    Sure, what I did was make a square wax rod which I cut up into smaller pieces and then bonded together by holding two pieces of rod up to a flame for a few seconds to liquefy the surface layer, then I pressed them together lightly and let them fuse. I did this 3 times so I had a basic shape, then I cut the edges off two of the rods and bonded them back onto the piece. This just formed the base of the statue that you see in the first photo. I just kept adding more and more wax rod to that basic core shape and shaped it generically with a metal tool.

What you are seeing above is the progression of adding more wax rod and shaping it roughly. I will add stylized feathers soon (you can see some in the very last photo at the bottom middle). Then I'll flame polish the head which will remove all the little wax "burrs" that you see.

[QUOTE=Zapins;192968

What you are seeing above is the progression of adding more wax rod and shaping it roughly. I will add stylized feathers soon (you can see some in the very last photo at the bottom middle). Then I'll flame polish the head which will remove all the little wax "burrs" that you see.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that is a great help but it leads to two more questions. What are you using for wax and what is or how do you flame polish?
    I tried to do a lost wax model of a propeller for my mud motor a few years ago and when I heated it to melt the wax out it cracked the mold because the wax expanded when heated. Do you have that problem?

I do not have that problem. Cracking during burnout sounds like you are using an unsuitable wax that expands too much when heated. This is the wax I use. I bought it from Remet casting supply place, it is a special wax made for lost wax casting. It does not expand as must as other waxes like paraffin. It works ok for model making but is extremely brittle when cold and shatters easily if bent too quickly or dropped. Fairly cheap stuff too, if I remember right I bought a 55 pound bag for about 40 or 50 dollars which has lasted me 6 years now and I still have about 10 pounds left.

This is the guy to contact reguarding the wax & other casting supplies
    Daniel Dowd
    Inside Sales
    REMET PIC
    Toll Free: 1-800-445-2424 x 6382
    Direct: 1-315-790-6382
    ddowd@remet.com
    www.remet.com
    Here is a video I put together showing how to make wax square rod which I used as a frame for the head, how to join wax together and how to flame polish. The benzomatic gas solderer is fantastic and well worth the $20 it costs. Probably one of the most useful wax working tools I have.

Wonderful work there Michael, I take it the post from the bottom of the neck will effectively be a sprue?
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Ahh, now I see, a picture is worth a thousand words and a video is worth 10,000. Thank you so much for your help, now to get some of the right wax.