Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Wet Saw Build Questions

Do you have room for a lid latch? Just put it on for now. Latch at 60 degrees. you can build under it.
    Bones

What about putting 4 shocks on the cabinet? Two on each side. I could put them either one right behind the other or make an arm support off the side of the box and then mount them on top of that? Then I could put them closer to the hinge and on the outside and solve the placement issue with the extra force. I could get 1200 lbs of force that way with four 300 lb shocks. I calculated it out and it should work pretty nicely if I place them between about 6 and 8" away from the hinge and have them go straight up.

Or I could get these lambo shocks up to 850 lbs each! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-600lbs...38.m2548.l4275

True they won't be horizontal, but I've seen other shocks used vertically and I don't mind if that means I have to replace them a little more often.

I looked into the torsion spring idea. It seems dangerous and difficult to find large enough springs to do what I want. Garage door openers aren't powerful enough which means I'd need to custom order which is mega bucks $$$.

A pneumatic pump might work, but I have no idea how those come together or what specs are important to match. Would need major assistance or a list of compatible parts to get that going I think unless I am over complicating them.

I'll definitely have a lid latch and some supports to prevent the lid opening too far or collapsing.

Zap,
    There is a photo in post #43, is that what you are shooting for?
    If it is, you have plenty of room for mounting the shocks on the inside.

Did you notice the automatic off switch? LoL
    Bones

Yes the auto off switch is funny. Effective though I'm sure! I might do something similar unless I can think of a better auto off .

This is what I want to do with the shocks. Put them on the outside but mount them the other way around so the cylinder is on top and the oil can pool at the bottom and keep the seals wet. I don't want them inside if at all possible because it will cut down on the width of the rock I can make.

http://www.ruffntufftools.com/830202...302024-220.htm

I found a guy who can custom make shocks to the right size and power needed so I'll make a decision on that soon and put an order in.

Going to start work on the carriage and vice design. I think I have a pretty good idea what I need to do. Not too complicated either which is nice.

Looks like I managed to gather up enough luck and got it unloaded at home.

Now all that remains is I need to finish designing the vice & carriage assembly. Do you all think 1/2" thick plate is too thick for the entire thing? would 1/4" work as well or better go with the heavy duty stuff?

I finished the plans for the vice. Please feel free to look at them and tell me if anything needs changing. I will be submitting the parts list tomorrow to be cut. Then I'll get down to welding everything together some time in the next 3-4 weeks (which is going to suck b/c I don't have the proper welding equipment to weld 1/2" plate).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9n...FTbklVcVU/view

I still need to figure out the right shocks to get. I might try buying variable shocks and just let out the gas until it has just the right amount of force. Might be easier than calculating up a storm.

Went to the fabrication shop today to submit the vice plans. They parted the thing out and figured out that the vice and carriage are going to weigh 215 pounds since it is made of 1/2" thick plate. This seems heavy to me, but I figured that is probably similar to the professionally made saws like highland park's and convington's? Their carriages look like they are about 1/2" cast iron.

I am a little concerned that the rails will bow slightly if I have that kind of weight on them plus the weight of the rock. That's anything up to 400 pounds of weight on the rails. Granted the rails are going to be 1.5" thick and made of drill rod but still... Do you think the rails will bow significantly?

I picked up the shaft the shop machined for me. It really came out well, exactly like my diagram, can't wait to fit it in place. I had them make 2 of the same shaft for me in case it ever breaks I'm not left trying to find a place to make a replacement.

Looks great! But I have to ask..are you saving money over buying this from the manufacturer?
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Yes. 6500 new from manufacturers plus whatever for shipping vs about 1600 for me to build it myself exactly how I want it using the best pieces of every type of saw out there. Not to mention the enjoyment I've had figuring it all out which is worth it by itself.

Wow! That's a bargain! Good work making this happen. My experience in building stuff is that it is only worth doing if: 1. You can't buy exactly what you want. Or 2. The item is labeled "marine" "medical" "aviation" or some other specialty designation so the price is ridiculous.
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer