Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new place to store your photos

Administrator Site Admin

A new place to store your photos

One of our members mentioned a place to store photos to use in posts. I checked it out, and have begun using it.

I have been using both Photobucket and the server service that is included at no cost with my DSL service. There are disadvantages to this:

1. Photobucket is a mess and a pain.
    2. I may change my DSL service in the future.

The new service has some distinct advantages:

1. It is free up to a 2 gig limit. This is not as much disk space as it would first appear to be, because you will no doubt begin backing up your data files there too.
    2. It is absolutely secure. Their encryption is solid. Why is security a concern for a bunch of photos? For one thing, as I said above, you will be backing up your files there too. For another, it is one of the top back up servers in the world, so it will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Edward Snowden (Wikileaks) recommends it as the most secure.

There is a small learning curve, but it is intuitive. Once I grasped it, good-bye Photobucket.

Go here to see it. https://spideroak.com/

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Flickr is great also. I have never understood why people mess with pbucket
    R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

My pictures go on photobucket for now.

For backing up files on a secure cloud I use mega:
    https://mega.nz/

50GB free encrypted space, I have 2 accounts :-)
    It's better to know something about everything then to know everything about something.
    Discovering the first everything is an adventure, discovering the second is a bore.

I use google photo's as there is no limit if you don't mind compressed photo's.
    only using it for photos on here and FB though.
    all my other photos go on my own HD and backed up on CD
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Quote Originally Posted by Rasper View Post
    One of our members mentioned a place to store photos to use in posts. I checked it out, and have begun using it.
    Go here to see it. https://spideroak.com/

Richard
    Until I finally upgraded my iPad mini's operating system last night, I always had to get out my android phone and squint hard to be able to see that member's pictures. They would want to download when I tap and make me go into my downloads to be able to see them full size, and I'm still trying to figure out how to delete them afterwards. All better now! Maybe I will look into this as well, as pb is so slow to load up and upload to on/from this device, and my phone only uploads tiny images to it. Spideroak pictures do still sometimes give me trouble on my PC at work though. And I heard they don't even offer to sell you framed prints...

Unfortunately, the new iOS does not make it any easier to type that member's name on this device - letters and numbers still on two different keyboards!

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

I had trouble uploading to Photo Bucket earlier this year and left a comment with them. They responded that they were aware of issues, and after a couple of weeks came back with a fix. I added to the Indian Head thread today and had no problems.
    If you think you can't do it, you're right!

Hey Richard, linking off site is PITA. Any thoughts about upping our limit from 20megs here? The way I see it, if the photos are stored here on the forum, there is never any danger of them dropping off threads. Through the years, we have seen the disappearance of some very important photos from some excellent threads. While we all like to bounce stuff off each other, it also serves as a record for future people to learn and read. The avenue is actually more like an archive.

20megs made sense 10years ago, but today, I can take a single photo with my phone on super duper high res and blow that limit by a mile.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Administrator Site Admin
    I have no way to up the limit. I do have some suggestions for the use of the 20 meg limit:

• Never post a photo of more than 100 kb. For our purposes, most can be reduced to between 20 to 50 kb. with no loss of their utility. At 30 kb,each, you can post more than 650 photographs on the forum server.
    • make a few temporary folders in your album for photos that have only temporary value to the forum. For instance if you are showing a new lathe you found on Craig's List, no one is going to want to see the photo of it in six months time. Put such photos in a temporary folder. Delete the temporary folders on a regular revolving basis.
    • OR: post photos of temporary value on Photobucket (or wherever), and only post those that have lasting value on here.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Rasper View Post
    I have no way to up the limit. I do have some suggestions for the use of the 20 meg limit:
    Whos got the keys to the kingdom then? I ran one of these PHP forums for years about old jags..... The limit is easily increased, but you have to have the permissions.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Administrator Site Admin
    The owner of the forum is the only person with those permissions. I haven't heard from him since he made me administrator several years ago.

Richard