Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you think you are?

Who do you think you are?

I was wondering what "Type" of people are there here, so thought I'd ask some questions:

Name :
    Reason for casting :
    How long have you been casting:
    The main metal you cast :
    Mold Material :
    CAD or Paper :
    Interesting note :
    Favorite way of keeping up with whats going on at Alloyavenue :
    The best thing you have ever *cast :

*(add photo if poss)

Interested is all, So I will start, just copy and paste the questions and fill in

Name :Andy
    Profession : Mechanic
    Reason for casting : Interested in learning something new and be nice to stop spannering for a living!
    How long have you been casting: 0 Despite having been here a fair time & built the furnace, I am still working on somewhere (Dry) to cast, it's coming soon though.
    The main metal you cast : As above, but the furnace refractory is capable of 1850°c, were see where we go.
    Mold material: I have green & petrobond sands (waiting!)
    CAD or Paper : Paper but I'm playing with Tinker CAD at the mo.
    Interesting note : Dyslexic alphabetically & numerically (thank goodness for spell check) but this has NEVER held me back as I'm way to intelligent for my own good!!!
    Favorite way of keeping up with whats going on at Alloyavenue : Whats new
    The best thing you have ever *cast : Nothing yet.
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Name : Cory, but most call me chirpy
    Profession : anything that keeps me interested long enough and doesnt involve dealing with stupid people
    Reason for casting : I like making things and metal cast items are about as strong as you can make yourself
    How long have you been casting: 3-4 years with aluminum, 12 years with lead
    The main metal you cast : aluminum
    Mold Material : greensand
    CAD or Paper : both, depends on what I have closer when the idea pops in my head, the laptop or the notebook
    Interesting note : mostly insane, completely full of ****
    Favorite way of keeping up with whats going on at Alloyavenue : by clicking on new forum posts and responses
    The best thing you have ever *cast : either a signal cannon or gingery lathe parts

Name : Jarrett
    Profession : Electrician (machine integration) by trade, now branching into programming (motion control)
    Reason for casting : Replacement parts for vintage machinery. ...and I like to learn stuff rather than pay others
    How long have you been casting: Been playing for 3yrs now... ...I think
    The main metal you cast : Aluminum, but aspire to do iron some day.
    Mold Material : Have both green sand and petrobond
    CAD or Paper : Paper, but I'm CAD handy. A sketch with dimensions is just as accurate.
    Interesting note : There's no letter L in my screen name
    Favorite way of keeping up with whats going on at Alloyavenue : I prefer to surf forums rather than use "what's new"
    The best thing you have ever *cast : One wheel of a required two...lol. Never bothered with the second for some reason....

Name : Michael
    Profession : Medical Student
    Reason for casting : Love it
    How long have you been casting:6 years
    The main metal you cast: Si-Bronze
    Mold Material : Ceramic shell & jewelry investment
    CAD or Paper:
    Interesting note :
    Favorite way of keeping up with whats going on at Alloyavenue : The forum?
    The best thing you have ever cast: Silver Necklace or humming bird & flowers sculpture

Administrator Site Admin
    Name : Richard

Profession : retired boatyard operator
    Reason for casting : I am a sculptor
    How long have you been casting: 11 years
    The main metal you cast : bronze
    Mold Material : traditional plaster based investment
    CAD or Paper : I usually begin by forming a piece in oil based clay
    Interesting note : Artists get to wear baseball caps to art shows.
    Favorite way of keeping up with whats going on at Alloyavenue : "New Posts"
    The best thing you have ever *cast :

Last edited by Rasper; 06-05-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Name :Pete
    Profession :Printer
    Reason for casting :midlife crisis. Had my fill of tv and novels
    How long have you been casting:5 yrs I think. Check my join date.
    The main metal you cast :Aluminum
    Mold Material :greensand and petrobond
    CAD or Paper : paper and computer
    Interesting note :not crazy but occasionally exercise poor judgement
    Favorite way of keeping up with whats going on at Alloyavenue : new posts
    The best thing you have ever *cast :Tree of Life panel for my birdbath project (not complete)

image.jpg

Name : Chris
    Profession : Software Engineer
    Reason for casting : It's not software engineering
    How long have you been casting: Zero years
    The main metal you cast : Unobtainium
    Molding Material : I think it use to be a ham sandwich.
    CAD or Paper : Paper then CAD if it's either complex/large, or I'm too lazy to fetch a ruler
    Interesting note : Employed by Red Hat for 15 years - as of a few days ago.
    Favorite way of keeping up with whats going on at Alloyavenue : Subscriptions then "what's new" button.
    The best thing you have ever *cast : A fishing hook, when I was 14. Now I hate fish.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

By the way Chirpy, good luck with that profession. (Spoiler alert) it doesn't get any better.

Name: Jeff
    Profession: Programmer/analyst (mainframe COBOL)
    Reason for casting: I came for the "Ooooooh, shiny" but I stayed when I realized this hobby could keep me challenged and learning useful skills for years to come.
    How long have you been casting: it'll be 3 years this coming fall
    The main metal you cast: aluminum (so far...)
    Mold Material: mainly lost foam but I am working on doing more green sand casting
    CAD or Paper: Do MS Paint doodles count? Paper. But I may get into CAD some day.
    Interesting note: I took my screen name from a master smith in A Song of Ice and Fire, a series of fantasy novels by George R. R. Martin. I think the "h" is supposed to be mostly silent.

I also named my furnace based on that series. Balerion the Black Dread was the dragon ridden by Aegon the Conqueror when he flew in from his island fortress to unite the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros under his rule. Balerion's fiery breath was used to forge the Iron Throne from the swords of Aegon's fallen enemies. And a dynasty that would last some 300 years.

Favorite way of keeping up with whats going on at Alloyavenue: the "new posts" button, or the search function if I'm not just getting caught up.
    The best thing you have ever cast: Hopefully it doesn't exist yet, but if I had to pick something I didn't make in the future, probably my lost foam skull belt buckle. Because I've worn it just about every day since I finished polishing it, and my pants haven't fallen down once. Unintentionally.

But I really like my anthill casting and lost foam tree sculpture too. It's my take on a Weirwood, one of the psychic god-trees from the aforementioned novels.

Edit - since posting this I have made something even better than any of that stuff above - my aluminum bronze axe:

Leaving the rest here so the comments about ant-murder downthread will continue to make sense.

Jeff
    Last edited by Tobho Mott; 10-03-2016 at 11:32 AM.
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Loving some of the replies there guy's and as I suspected, we are a varied lot, let's see what else others add to this:
    love the photo's too, nice to see the face behind some wonderful work there Rasper.
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"