Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Gearing up for sand casting

Looks like you're ready to rock and roll with it.
    I haven't tried this yet but I will for my next glue up. I'm going to wax the base pattern to see if the numerals will release easier. I use a tiny drop of super glue on the top and bottom of the numbers and they pop off with a razor blade but the glue leaves a residue. I'm hoping to get a cleaner release.
    Bones

Ok that's great to hear, I hadn't decided what type of glue to use yet. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Tobho Mott; 01-08-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos | TheHomeFoundry Forums

Well, I got a mold rammed up last weekend.when it got unusually warm out, stuck it in my molding bench to stay fresh (frozen) for a week, then finally poured it this past Saturday...

https://youtu.be/hPokV0F_dlA

I got video of the melt/pour/shakeout too, but its not quite ready to upload yet. I'll come back and edit it in here once its ready, for those who may want to see a little fire and molten metal.

Until it is, these pix will have to do. The bump on the back of the plaque comes from the cope scraping against the window sash lock on the back of the flask when I was opening it to draw out the pattern, which has me thinking about repositioning those locks... I'll have to do a bit of grinding there, I guess.

20180120_232534-1040x780.jpg

IMG_20180120_233152590_HDR-585x1040.jpg

IMG_20180120_233129872_HDR-1040x585.jpg

Not my best ever casting, but not bad for a week old mold... and I think I can save it. If i end up having to redo it, maybe it will get poured in bronze rather than aluminum.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

Looks good Jeff.
    That's a big chunk to grind off. Since you have handles on the sides, try using spring clamps to hold the flask together. You could get rid of the sash locks. I have about a dozen of them now, kept buying 4 every trip to Harbor Freight. https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta....pal-prod-com3
    I find it easier to cut the vents rather than molding them in, that's a lot of tamping around them and the arrows are quite thin walled and cut cleanly.
    What's the plan for finishing it, paint?
    Awaiting the next vid!
    Bones

Thanks Bones,

Yeah, paint and some sanding I guess. I have a fairly aggressive flap disc that I'm quite sure ill make sort work of that lump, I'm not too worried about it.

So do you cut the vents from the inside of the mold out while it is open, or do you just have really good aim and cut them through from the top of the cope?

Clamps might be easier than the window locks in the end, but I was thinking about moving the locks to the sides that have the pins, that way I can avoid gouging out the cope and still don't have to hunt for any missing clamps!

Jeff

I lay the cope down on it's top and cut from the inside.
    Bones

Makes sense. Heck, they may not even be needed, seeing as I got the blank pattern to cast up OK without them...

Anyhow, thanks again for the suggestions!

Jeff