Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chop Saw Stand

Blog Entries
    Yep, looking at the 18" unit...perfect size for some semi-moveable tools!

Kelly,

I want to ask you about your knobs. Did you cast them with a steel nut embedded or are they drilled an tapped? If they are drilled and tapped do you have any issues with them striping out? (I work with some 200 Lb Gorillas so I'm wondering about longevity). If there captive nuts how did you keep the aluminum from chilling against them? (Ie more details please) .

CBB

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBillyBob View Post
    Kelly,

I want to ask you about your knobs. Did you cast them with a steel nut embedded or are they drilled an tapped? If they are drilled and tapped do you have any issues with them striping out? (I work with some 200 Lb Gorillas so I'm wondering about longevity). If there captive nuts how did you keep the aluminum from chilling against them? (Ie more details please) .

CBB
    I actually built that chop saw stand before I had my furnace up and running so I purchased those palm grips from McMaster Carr. They are threaded, but for binding knobs like that, I purchase 3/8-16 threaded brass rod (also from McMaster) that I keep on hand, cut off pieces and Loctite them into the knob. There is a weld nut welded to the base they thread into and then bind against the slider when you tighten them. They hold well but are non-marring.

Best,
    Kelly

Kelly,
    The square tubing you used, is that hitch receiver tubing?

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    Kelly, The square tubing you used, is that hitch receiver tubing?
    No, most is just structural steel scraps from my day job but IIRC I think I bought a stick of the smaller dimensioned stuff for the two longer pieces. Most of my drop and scrap will be shorter than that and most is round not square because I have a mandrel bent tube business. An inexhaustible supply of clean metal tube is certainly a nice fringe benefit though. I make a daily pass by the recycling dumpster to fish out treasure.

Best,
    Kelly

86 that request, I found them.