Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chop Saw Stand

Chop Saw Stand

I was getting tired of hoisting my saw onto my welding table and coating everything on and around it with saw swarf. So I took a short breakfrom my furnace build to take care of that. I was going to build a table for itbut received a Harbor Freight email with coupon for a 44” 13 drawer tool boxthat caught my interest. The coupon was $369. Still a lot of dough but looked too good to be true. I needed drawer and storage space in that part of my shop so I called my local store and they had stock and one on the floor so I went to take a look at.

It’s certainly not SnapOn quality but tell ya-what, it’s pretty similar to my Craftsmen boxes and anywhere from half to a third of the price of comparable boxes…..Can’t say I’m always a fan of a lot of the HF stuff but this was pretty darn good value IMO. So the pictures below are the saw stand and support I made. It’s just a bunch of short pieces cut and pieced together but it makes cutting long tube and angle a much easier one-man job. There’s fair investment sitting there but that DeWalt cold saw will cut a 4” diameter ¼” walled tube in about 10 seconds and make a nice cut at that.

Best,
    K
    Last edited by kcoffield; 08-10-2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Restored Hosted Images

Very slick. Funny, I have the exact same saw.
    R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Those supports will sure come in handy. Ive never heard of anyone disappointed with those cabinets. I also like the harbor freight 18" side cabinet, it would also make a good little stand for a benchtop tool.

Good job! I really like that custom frame.

I have a dewalt chop saw and it takes ages to cut a piece of metal. I wonder if it is because I use a metal framing stud blade instead of all purpose. Though I have a large cut off saw which is very heavy with the same type of blade and chews threw metal easily.

I have cut heavy steel with mine.
    R
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Too many years of chopsaw use in my life has instilled a strong distain for them. They have their place for sure, but between the noise, the smell of the disks burning down, and general mess they make, I'm totally a band/hack saw kind of guy.

Back during my first maintenance gig I reinforced my rolling chest with angle iron and plate as well. Turns it from a tool holder to a tool in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Vibert View Post
    Too many years of chopsaw use in my life has instilled a strong distain for them. They have their place for sure, but between the noise, the smell of the disks burning down, and general mess they make, I'm totally a band/hack saw kind of guy.

Back during my first maintenance gig I reinforced my rolling chest with angle iron and plate as well. Turns it from a tool holder to a tool in its own right.
    Take note. That saw has a metal cutting blade. Not an abrasive blade. Chips only.
    R
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by Micscience View Post
    Good job! I reallylike that custom frame. I have a DeWalt chop saw and it takes ages to cut apiece of metal. I wonder if it is because I use a metal framing stud bladeinstead of all purpose. Though I have a large cut off saw which is very heavywith the same type of blade and chews threw metal easily.

Seems like it always comes down to feed, speed, and cutter material and shape, and controlling heat. That’s a DW872. It’s a 14” saw with carbide tipped blade for ferrous cutting. It’s 15 amp but the big difference is it’s only1300rpm. The carbide tips have different shape and rake. Besides not having the odor of abrasive blades, and even though it’s twice the initial cost of the 14" abrasive blade saw, I think it will be less expensive with use and a little care to keep too much heat out of the blade. I’ve made a lot of cuts with it and can’t even guess how many abrasive blades I would have gone through.

I have a DW708 sliding compound miter saw forwoodworking. Had it for 10 years. It’s a 12” diameter 13 amp saw and like it too. It’s a good wood saw but it’s 4000 rpm.....way too fast for metal cutting.I used a router speed control to slow it down and a metal cutting blade to cut 16 gauge 2” tube for a set of automotive headers I built. It worked ok but the speed control reduces power along with the speed and is hard on the motor. There’s no comparison between the two saws in performance when it comes to cutting metal.

Best,
    K
    Last edited by kcoffield; 05-03-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    woah... I never thought about using that 18" chest over a simple stand...BRILLIANT! Ive been looking for a permanent mount for my bench vice, drill press, and bench grinder...looks like im going to be buying 3!

Quote Originally Posted by 4cylndrfury View Post
    ...looks like im going to be buying 3!
    There's a coupon on the front page of the Harbor Freight Website. They're $369 through May 31st for the one on my build......or are you talking about (3 of) the 18", 7 drawer end cabinets for $189ea? That's a pretty darn good idea too. Could slap some legs or casters on it.

Best,
    K