Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelly's Furnace Build Log

This thread should be removed, you didn't go through the proper process..... 'I have an idea' ... replies: 'that won't work' .... 'where are the pictures?' ..... 'don't over-think it' ...... etc.

Now go back and start the thread properly!

Quote Originally Posted by Peedee View Post
    This thread should be removed, you didn't go through the proper process..... 'I have an idea' ... replies: 'that won't work' .... 'where are the pictures?' ..... 'don't over-think it' ...... etc.

Now go back and start the thread properly!
    Oh I think if there was ever a build that had been "over thought" it's this one....lol. I also applaud Kelly for not bothering to ask the forum if he had good ideas. We all know the consensus would have been that his designs were far too elaborate, and he should just get his feet wet with a simple build or two. However, all this self guided over the top thinking has manifested itself into the hands down most incredibly executed build I have ever seen. ...and when I say "build", that includes everything I've seen on the internet. Well, save, maybe the hadron super collider.

Only suggestion I have is to insulate one of the tool cabinets and use it as a beer cooler.

Why would you want COLD beer? Anyway, lets see some casting Kelly

You all make me smile. I’ve actually been quietly been watching all your posts from a far and learning from them for quite some time now. I think you’re all quite accomplished and at the same time quite modest which is to be commended. In the modern age, it seems the world is amuch smaller place than we may think.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Vibert View Post
    Oh I think if therewas ever a build that had been "over thought" it's this one....lol. Ialso applaud Kelly for not bothering to ask the forum if he had good ideas. Weall know the consensus would have been that his designs were far too elaborate,and he should just get his feet wet with a simple build or two. However, allthis self guided over the top thinking has manifested itself into the handsdown most incredibly executed build I have ever seen. ...and when I say"build", that includes everything I've seen on the internet. Well,save, maybe the hadron super collider. Only suggestion I have is to insulateone of the tool cabinets and use it as a beer cooler.

J, It was actually your reply in another thread to my initial post of the test video of my lifting mechanism that got me off the fence to post. I actually struggled with whether to post at all. I actually did previously post and received some of the input described above but it was several years ago and then life happened.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?8488-Let-the-games-begin!&p=133618#post133618
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?8328-Crtique-My-Furnace-Design&p=131397#post131397

A good deal of that input I took onboard especially Gypsy’s comments on safety in regard a novice caster to attempting an A60 build out of the shoot. The simplicity part, obviously did/could not take onboard. My friends say go big or go home. Instead I decided to go home and go big. Like Wargrade, I thought about what I needed/wanted came up with a plan, and went to it. On it being over thought....guilty as charged. Honestly, I can’t help myself with that. It’s just how I’m wired. -And beer is proof positive there is a supreme being and he loves us.

...and J, we’ll have to start another thread on old woodworking machinery. I have an Oliver Model 382-DD, 20” dual disc sander that I’ve had for a few years but just recently got up and running. It’s a gem. From another post I understand you also use Photobucket to host your pictures. Any idea why PB rotates some of the images I upload and then stubbornly refuses to allow me to edit them back to the correct orientation once they are uploaded?

I was going to start abuild thread.............I'm sure a few pics of refractory being thrown aroundisn't going to cut it now! Amazing thread.

This thread should beremoved, you didn't go through the proper process..... 'I have an idea' ...replies: 'that won't work' .... 'where are the pictures?' ..... 'don'tover-think it' ...... etc. Now go back and start the thread properly!

Quote Originally Posted by wargrade View Post
    Do me a favour, doyou not sleep! I'm sure you must work for NASA, selling pipe was just said tomake us feel better, believe me it does not. (walks away head down kicking thedirt and muttering I thought mine was pretty good!!!). I eagerly await yourcasting results & they better be bloody good or else

I worked for a UK plc based in Wimborne for 15 years. The career change I previously mentioned is when I left the business a couple years ago but before that I was in England nearly every month for each of those fifteen years. Wargrade, the White Cliffs of Dover are something to behold. Peedee when heading South from Heathrow I always saw the signs to Ipswich but have only driven through Suffolk and it seems long ago. All I remember is it being surrounded by a lot of good farm land (what else would a fellow from Iowaremember) and a friend I used to work with told me the names were derived from when the Angles split and became the North Folk and South Folk.

I miss the people and Brit humor. BTW, I’m not a total nutter and my employees routinely take the piss out of me regarding my welding skills.

Quote Originally Posted by caster View Post
    The engineering and fabrication is awesome. Can't wait to see the castings. Caster

Caster, liked your recent post on the lifting mechanism. It’s well executed and there is an elegance in simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostOakFoundry View Post
    Built-in swivelingcabinets? C'mon! You may as well add a waste-heat burger and hot dog grillinsert while you're at it. Truly impressive and I can't help but wonder, whatfuture plans do you have that could inspire such a creation? Also, are youhiring? lol

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    I can melt a beercan! Seriously nice build.

To the Texans: When I graduated from college, me and my roommate literally walked from the graduation ceremony to his packed car and drove non-stop from Iowa to his sister’s in Houston and commenced a 30 day bender. I haven’t collectively spent as much time in TX since then but there’s an independent spirit in all-ya-all and in the vastness of Texas that is something to be admired and I’ve never met a Texan I didn’t like.

FOF, I have followed your shaper build closely. I wanted to ask how you imbedded that looped video of it in operation and then I thought to myself, the guy hand scrapes in a shaper built from scratch and all you can ask him about the imbedded video? I thought it better to remain silent and be thought a fool rather than open my mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODENBOATJIM View Post
    I believe theword you're looking for is "Schwing!". Awesome job, extremelyprofessional work you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancientwolf View Post
    Speechless. Yousir, have won the internet today.

Schwing? -Party on Jim.

The state of PA is well represented. As an Iowa Hawkeye alum, I’d like to personally extend a belated welcome to the Happy Valley crowd to the Big Ten Conference. Let’s not speak about the Rose Bowl please.

Keep up the good work on that lathe build Jim. Reading your profile, we have a good deal in common. You Gingery guys understand the compulsion to build equipment that builds equipment and enjoyment of the build journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Petee716 View Post
    Witness the returnof the Enola Gay. That is quite a demonstration of planning and fabricationskills Kelly, not to mention the time and effort involved. There's an awefullot to digest here and quite a bit to learn as well. Thanks for presenting it! Pete

How’s the Muller coming? I’m eventually gonna need one of those too. I had business in Orchard Park and was there every month for years. We’d tail gate and walk a mile down the road to Wilson stadium. People think NY City when they think about NY. It may have the people but it’s certainly not the state. I like Western NY. Buffalo is very similar to the area I live in Iowa. They both have a historical manufacturing base and yet a short drive and you’re in rolling hills and family farms. The people from the two businesses hit it off and got along well. I took in Niagara many times from the air above and both the US and Canadian side. What a spectacular site. I also had business just outside of Toronto Airport in Mississauga. I’d cross at Peace Bridge and tool o n up the QEW. I’d be mercilessly harassed by the border agents upon reentry to the US. Dunno how close that gets to you Vibert.

You are all correct in your observations.........but can he cast? I’m mindful of the fact that all this effort thus far and it’s yet to melt a single drop of metal. I’m also approaching the point where I may be able to melt but have nothing to handle a crucible nor materials to make a mold to pour it in other then an ingot tray so it will be a while yet. I also go in fits and starts due to work and family obligations. There’s no schedule here and I tell myself no compromise other than of a practical nature. –A test of patience.

Take care,
    Kelly

Something tells me you'll manage to figure out a way to build some at least sorta OK crucible tools...

Looking forward to seeing what else you can make. Great thread, you really know how to make an entrance!

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Kelly, it looks like you have a handle on the foundry furnace aspects, beautiful. Pouring metal is easy, it is just a bigger puddle.
    Here is what I have stumbled on with the Photobucket orientation. In your library edit the photo and then choose "replace original". Then logout and leave the site. When you return and log in sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    If you think you can't do it, you're right!

I love this build. I've also been mostly a lurker on here for some time as I read and learn. My initial plans are rather on the large size and I want to make it right. I figure that I need to be able to pour 50lbs of aluminum at a go in order to cast the size and type of parts that I primarily am interested in making. I have yet to make the step of implementing those plans, but I have a notebook with ideas and sketches that I have been slowly converting into an actual design.

I'm really interested in how you are going to complete the electric furnace insert. I'm following along with everything so far. I am using electric primarily, and my build was pretty rough and basic protoype just to see if my cheap materials would even last and to get a handle on all the components and how they interact, pids, ssr, wire calculations etc. I thought I was on the edge with my wire as far as loading, but it all keeps working so I just keep on using it. The wire hardly looks used so far. Looking forward to see how you handle the connections.
    I have read that some heat treat chambers have a drop out floor so the part will fall in a cooling bucket immediately. I wonder if you could incorporate that somehow in your design.
    And that's an animated gif. Easy to make once you know how, but you need a picture editor program like photoshop. I'm trying to bring them back in style.

Hi Kelly,
    I usually don't have anything to contribute here but I must say I'm in awe of your build. At first I thought you were building a nesting furnace, you know, like the Russian Faberge eggs. But heck this is even better.
    When you add updates with edits, don't forget to bump the thread to the top so we can stay tuned!
    Looking forward to the rest of it.
    Bones

Quote Originally Posted by FrostOakFoundry View Post
    I'm reallyinterested in how you are going to complete the electric furnace insert. ........Looking forward to see how you handle the connections.
    At the moment it’s not cast in stone, but here is my current thinking. After I stretch the coils, I’ll twist one or two other pieces of 14awg Kanthal onto the leads that penetrate the IFB wall.This is supposed to reduce the resistance and wire temperature so it is a little easier on the conductor it connects to. I’ll make a stainless lug that attaches the Kanthal lead to the MGT conducting wire on each end of each coil and then route those wires around the refractory and out the Tuyere tube on the furnace body shell. I made a custom plug for the four conductors and a ground.This plug attaches to the power cable on the furnace controller. This cable must be able to accomodate the furnace travel. It’s fat SOOW 5 conductor cord. The IFB gets a 1” wrap of ceramic wool and then the OD gets wrapped in 22 ga steel to keep everything put and protect the fragile IFB. Then the whole thing just drops into the furnace shell on the lifting mech. –That’s the plan anyways. All clear

I’ve built a couple make shift hot wire foam cutters but this is my first go at resistive elements and controls at this power level. I based everything on recommendations right out of the Kanthal design handbook. Overall it does seem to be comparable power density to some oft he commercial electric heat treat ovens I found on the web. The control is simple On/Off and SSRs triggered via PID based on a k-type thermocouple signal. I was thinking I’d start out setting the temp at 1800F and see how it does with aluminum and work up from there. –We’ll see.

I have read that some heat treat chambers have a drop out floor so thepart will fall in a cooling bucket immediately. I wonder if you could incorporate that some how in your design.

Interesting. If you look at the top of the mast on my lift, you’ll see that flat plate at the end of the beam with mounting holes. I was thinking I migh put a small swiveling beam/gantry up there so I could lift out heavier parts and just drop them in a barrel of water next to the furnace. For smaller parts you’d just lift the furnace and grab them with tongs to do the same.

And that's an animated gif. Easy to make once you know how, but you needa picture editor program like photoshop. I'm trying to bring them back instyle.

Like it. I’ll have to look into that.

Thanks for the post,
    Kelly
    Last edited by kcoffield; 04-21-2016 at 11:50 AM.