Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelly's Furnace Build Log

Other Features, Bells, and Whistles

Storage Cabinets

I never have enough storage space and it seems I’m prone to misplacing things. I hate wasting time looking for tools; really hacks me off and happens more and more the older I get. I also took a look around my shop and a lot of things speak for floor space but don’t use the room directly above. In keeping with the theme to have my entire foundry (or as much as I practically can) portable and within the given foot print, I added the storage cabinets to fill in some space and create some dedicated storage for the tools of the trade; a place for everything and everything in its place….. sort of. I won’t be able to get flasks, a muller, or mold material in there but hey, most everything else. They swivel away from the interior so you can access the actuator mechanisms and stored ingot trays. I have some interesting ideas for stuffing them full of foundry equipment so will be adding to this section as time goes on.

Leveling Arms

I think the furnace is pretty stable as is but the lift mechanism does potentially put 100 lbs-200 lbs six feet into the air. My driveway has a little drainage grade too so these allow the furnace to be leveled and also obtain a broader base. I don’t know these will get a great deal of use on the foundry but I have several other heavy tools on portable stands in my shop that have the same size square tube in their base so they can also use these same levelers….and they will definitely get used there.

Furnace Base Lifting Jack Screw

The furnace base(s) can be kind of heavy and hard to move since they are cantilever mount on the post. To save my back I made this jackscrew assembly. It bolts to the carriage and base rail on the mobile base. You just loosen the furnace base mast clamp and drive the screw with a cordless drill. The idea was to be able to adjust the height of the furnace base, thusthe crucible height, for a crucible pouring cart that also is adjustable height.This is all to accommodate pouring different height molds. Something similar to this could probably be used for a furnace lifting mechanism.

Burnout/Heat Treat Insert Module for Larger Furnace

I have the steel shell made but not the refractory insert as of the initial post. I figure I may as well wait until I use my electric furnace a bit to see how my previous IFB work performs but I am planning the same approach for this insert module. The IFB will be machined for resistive coil grooves like the A20 Furnace Refractory Module but they will take fewer laps around the larger diameter shell so the same pair of resistive coils used in the smaller electric furnace can be used. That will also make it compatible with the same power management and control system. Since this will concentrate the applied heat in the lower section of the furnace, if needed, I plan a small aspirator that uses a small amount of compressed air to create circulation and more uniform temperature throughout the furnace when used for heat treatment. This would be similar to an aspirated burner but much smaller volume of gas displacement. I also plan on making a heat treat grate that installs along with the insert.

That's all for now folks.

Best,
    Kelly
    Last edited by kcoffield; 09-30-2016 at 05:43 PM.

I was going to start a build thread.............I'm sure a few pics of reractory being thrown around isn't going to cut it now!

Amazing thread.

ahhh... wow

Might as well shut down the forum.

Anybody got a bucket and some red clay..?..lol

I honestly don't have a word in my vocabulary that best describes how I feel about this build. I'm not going to say "I'm speechless" because that's just corny. How about I simply promise to revisit this thread at some later date after I find a word that best suits my emotional state.

Good stuff man...

Witness the return of the Enola Gay.

That is quite a demonstration of planning and fabrication skills Kelly, not to mention the time and effort involved. There's an aweful lot to digest here and quite a bit to learn as well. Thanks for presenting it!

Pete

The engineering and fabrication is awesome. Can't wait to see the castings.

Caster

Built-in swiveling cabinets? C'mon! You may as well add a waste-heat burger and hot dog grill insert while you're at it. Truly impressive and I can't help but wonder, what future plans do you have that could inspire such a creation? Also, are you hiring? lol

Quote Originally Posted by J. Vibert View Post
    ahhh... wow

Might as well shut down the forum.

Anybody got a bucket and some red clay..?..lol

I honestly don't have a word in my vocabulary that best describes how I feel about this build. I'm not going to say "I'm speechless" because that's just corny. How about I simply promise to revisit this thread at some later date after I find a word that best suits my emotional state.

Good stuff man...
    I believe the word you're looking for is "Schwing!".

Awesome job, extremely professional work you do.

Do me a favour, do you not sleep!
    I'm sure you must work for NASA, selling pipe was just said to make us feel better, believe me it does not.
    (walks away head down kicking the dirt and muttering I thought mine was pretty good!!!).

eagerly await your casting results & they better be bloody good or else
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" War Grade Report

I can melt a beer can! :-(

Seriously nice build.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Speechless.

You sir, have won the internet today.
    www.historicoriginsstudios.com "Explore, Before..."