Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Kelly's Furnace Build Log

Burlington, IA? Hey, that's just 80 miles S-SW of God's Country

Quote Originally Posted by cojo98v6 View Post
    Your not alone Robert, somehow I missed it too.
    The forum posts don't hang around the top very long so unless you browse deeper into the most recent posts it's easy to miss some...happens to me all the time.

Kcoffield, this is an incredible build, very impressed. I've been needing to build a shank/trolly for bigger crucible that I'll use in my bigger furnace I'm building. Right now I use the A16 and when topped off with aluminum it about at the limit I can lift and pour by myself. You've given me inspiration to go build one now, just have to finish my new shop first.
    Thank you for your reply and please post up when you build the shank/trolley

Take care,
    Kelly

Gods country? So if I'm south that would make me in ........ lol So, guessing your in the quad cities area then.

I guess it does, I'll have to keep checking back sooner.

I'll definitely post pictures once I do. Once I get the shop done I plan on ramping up my foundry set up as well, so many pictures to come once I do this.

Blog Entries
    Wow! That's definitvely overkill but so much enjoyable. What a great result!
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/

Furnace Build Update January 8th, 2017

Back at it. I made the sheet metal skins, cut/fit the ceramic wool, and united all the pieces of my larger furnace.

That center section is an 8 kw electric insert for heat treating, burn out, and controlled heats up to 2200F or so.

I have a 200 watt light bulb in there now and I’ll be interested to see at what temperature it stabilizes. After a few days of the light bulb I’ll use the electric section and ramp and soak PID to run it up 100F/hr.

I’ll turn my attention to adding the lid lifting mechanism for my rig now.

Best,
    Kelly
    Last edited by kcoffield; 01-23-2017 at 03:10 PM.

A work of art, may it never see a scratch

How'd ya form those lap offsets pieces (dunna know whatcha call them)...where the outer skins come together?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by r4z0r7o3 View Post
    A work of art, may it never see a scratch
    It's a right of ascension like the first paint chip or door ding in your new car.

How'd ya form those lap offsets pieces (dunna know whatcha call them)...where the outer skins come together?
    Yah, offset lap joint. I just clamped it to my welding table sandwiched between a piece of heavy angle on top and a piece of sheet metal the thickness of the offset underneath, both aligned with the offset so it was hanging unsupported. I used a 2" x 3" hunk of 1/4" thick scrap mild steel as my forming die (and believe me, that's a very generous description) and just walked on down the offset line beating it with a hammer. If you round/relieve the ends of the die a little on the belt sander it doesn't mar as bad. -Crude but effective.

Here's another crude but effective forming exercise. Wooden buck, vise, and 3" pipe as my hammer.

r4z0r7o3, I saw you today in my shop lurking in my scrap bucket.

Best,
    Kelly
    Last edited by kcoffield; 01-09-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Man I wish I had more time to watch Alloy Avenue like I used to! I have totally missed this build thread. AWESOME. That is all.
    I got tired of being told what I can't do...

Furnace Build Update 2-21-2017 - Lifting Crane

So I finally got around to making the Crane arm, carriage, and lifting hardware. I had originally placed the mounting plate at the top of the mast on the furnace lift as provisioning for a crane to lift the different furnaces on and off. It could easily be adapted to lifting a crucible as well. For the guiding the carriage, I just used a couple ball bearings on top and then brass set screws on each side and bottom. One set screw has a knob so it can lock the carriage. There are also stop rings that can be positioned on each side of the carriage. The actuator is the same 400lb, 8-inch stroke actuator I use on my pouring cart and drill press lift. It can lift the furnace fine but I wouldn’t want the large furnace very far out on the arm. I figure I can make an extension for the arm and another support post on wheels making it a small gantry to maneuver molds and up 400lbs. The mounting plate on the crane has hooks so you can just set the whole thing in place and then bolt it on and off easily securely to the mast mounting plate.

Here's the crane carriage

Here’s the crane in action lifting the larger A60 furnace onto the lifting mechanism.

…and now with furnace in place. That middle section is the 8kw electric insert. It removes for fuel fired service.

I’m finishing up the lid lift mechanism and should have that done shortly. I also have a forced air natural gas burner in the works but I may put my smaller A20 electric furnace back on the lift and cast a few things in the interim.

Best,
    Kelly

So exactly how much plutonium will this beast require to travel 5 light years??
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    So exactly how much plutonium will this beast require to travel 5 light years??
    No plutonium.........Fusion reactor with flux capacitor!

K