Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: r4z0r7o3's Crucible-furnace lifting mechanism / transport-stand.

Quote Originally Posted by r4z0r7o3 View Post
    - recovering some shafts, sensors, and motors from an old photo-printer.
    Those machines can be a gold mine. I recently repurposed a 24v motor and gear train from a copier paper elevator on my laminator reroller project. I posted a thread on it.
    Rollers, shafts, and bearings are useful as well.

Pete

I coped the opposing pair of angle-iron corners, then lighhtly clamped them around the arranged square of IFBs.

Welded up opposite-corner seams, allowed it to cool, hit the other two, then removed the clamps.

Pulled out what I originally thought was a 1/8" piece of sheet, turns out to only be 1/16", oh well, it'll still work.

Sssslllloooooowwwly fed it through an abrasive wheel mounted in my table-saw. Deeper into the cut I used a push-stick to hold the metal down near the blade and help feed it.

Flipped the sheet over and cut the other side.

Wanting to use as few welds as possible, I decided on 3, 1-inch long beads per side. With ER70S6 filler-rod, that works out to almost...

...9,000 pounds of tensile strength per-joint (double that on the corners).

Using a 1/16" electrode, made two passes to ensure I had good penetration on both sides.

To make life easy, I tack-welded a chunk of scrap in the middle for my ground-clamp...

...that put up quite a fight during removal, had to pull out the grinder to get it off. Oops.

Time for the stackup. Interestingly, the IFB pan sits perfectly flat on the platform, no weeble-wobbles at all. That little 1/16" thickness difference must make up for the hump. Interesting.

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of, that middle section is the one suppose to be lifted :S

Hehe, the lid is almost at the right height for lifting, maybe that's an option?

Seems like about 6-inches of height I've got to make up.

So, looks like I need to head back to the hardware store anyway. Since I need longer bolts, that means I need thicker ones too.

An alternate idea could be to snag another box of IFBs, then pile 'em up. No fasteners required.

Finally, I could completely change my plans, and use the lifter on the lid, with a pair of coupling-straps that would connect the lid-studs, to the body-studs. Clearance when it's open would be about 18-inches from the bottom of the lid to the top of the furnace. Though I'm not keen on having that glowing hot lid-surface radiating down on me like that.

I'm leaning toward the bigass-bolts idea, because that will give me some handy-dandy storage space under the IFB pan.

What'd y'all think? What would you do?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Getting close now...
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Make a set of offset bars. That run from the lifer to the middle. Shouldn't be a ton of work and you can call it a "Feature" the lifter can be used on Larger furnace sections as well Then when you make your next furnace make the middle 6" taller.

CBB

Ya, that's what I mentioned above as one option. The big trouble there is, then the lid can't swing open to the side (typical design) because the arms or the bars are in the way. In any case, I've bought six 8-in. x 5/8-in bolts, nuts and washers. Laid out a grid on the base-platform, centered WRT the arms, where I'll drill six holes into the 3/16-in plate. I'll just tack-weld the bolt-heads onto the bottom of the IFB platform. The net result is: I'll have about 1-1/12 inches of vertical travel and leveling via three bolts, the other three can then be cinched up for support. The bolt size, and bottom-plate thickness should give enough side-wards rigidity to the setup, and certainly can hold the weight.

Dunno who said it, but I love this quote: Problems are only opportunities waiting to be found

Raising the platform like this opens up about a 1-foot wide x 6-inch tall area under the platform. I can store ingot trays and tools and such or...I could make a compact blower to fit under there, with all the gauges and controls, connected by a flexible hose to the tuyere. That would be really slick. Perhaps I'll save that for a future upgrade. For now, the extra storage space is always a welcome addition. In fact, I'm thinking of adding some hooks to the upper-frame support bar, so it can double as a coat and hat-rack
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov