Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: r4z0r7o3's Crucible-furnace lifting mechanism / transport-stand.

Eeek! Help! Almost welded myself into a delli of a pickle...

Got all the mounting, bolting, and securing holes drilled and the edges beveled for welding this motor mount together. The small pieces are gussets to be welded onto the inside corners. The four large holes on the left might be cut into a large slit, for bottom-side access to the shaft and/or maybe cooling purposes, or just left as-is, not sure yet.

Got all the mill-shmoook ground off. Helps the welds stick and also just because shiny things look cool

Anybody else been exposed to these Motovario gear boxes (made in Italy)? I was going to do the holes by template, but then I looked up the data-sheet for this box and used those measurements.

Bolted it all up and...man the fit! The mounting holes are dead-on accurate, no weeble-wobble, no skew, no slip, absolutely spot-on. The bottom-plate is just resting in position for now, and to illustrate the horrible connundrum I'm in...

...If I weld that bottom plate on as-is, how the foooooook am I gonna get a wrench inside there to hold the nuts to keep them from spinnn-roundy when I take off the lower bolts (on top from this view)? Hhhhhhheeeeeeeeelp!

I considered making the bottom-side holes larger, but nope, wrench is at the wrong angle to access the nuts.

Only thing I can think ATM, is to cut notches into the bottom-plate, near the sides, so a wrench can slip in and hold the bolts.

Another option could be to swap out the nylock-nuts for square, or DIY-triangle-shape bolts, but I'm really not sure how well that would work, it's a really odd-shape nut-crevasse (that sounds disgusting).

Thoughts / Ideas highly sought after, please share! What would you do?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

I'm having a hard time seeing whats going on, I am thinking maybe re-drilling/tapping the nut-side-end, then you don't need a wrench/nut in there, but I may be way off.

I still haven't figure out if your building the space shuttle or a foundry furnace ????
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by r4z0r7o3 View Post
    ...If I weld that bottom plate on as-is, how the foooooook am I gonna get a wrench inside there to hold the nuts to keep them from spinnn-roundy when I take off the lower bolts (on top from this view)? Hhhhhhheeeeeeeeelp!
    Sorry, Can't help, I read your post 3 times but don't get to figure it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostOak View Post
    I'm having a hard time seeing whats going on
    Frostoak, you're not alone

I don't understand why the nuts are for but isn't there a way to tap the plates (or weld the nuts in place) so you don't have to use a wrench?
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/